Reasonable range of turns ratio for asymmetric humbucker coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
    I'll have to see if I can figure out a reasonable estimate of the amount (weight) of 42 vs 43 on those coils to see how comparable they are in that measurement. There are ~ 1,600 more turns on the 43 side than the 42. All very cool.
    OK, as I posted above the hot coil of my high DCR spread humbucker has ~ 3,000Ω more DCR and ~ 1,300 more turns than the low side. But, based on standard DCR/1,000 ft. of wire and weight/1,000 ft. of wire for the 42 & 43 I used, the hot side of the humbucker has only ~ 3.2% greater weight. They become pretty comparable coils when you look at them on the basis of weight/mass.

Addendum. . .

I truly do not understand the physics of this at all, but is it possible that the hum cancelling and tonal matching isn't a factor of DCR or turns, but rather the mass? If that were the case, then when the same wire is used on both coils, the ratio of either DCR or turns of the 2 coils would be representative of the ratios of mass, but again, only when the wire used was the same on both coils.

Probably way out to lunch on this as per usual.
    Last edited by kayakerca; 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

It doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good, and you accomplish your objective.
      I don't think the OP was really talking about 43 and 42 combined.
      He was just wanting to get a ballpark offset of what other winders do, probably on PAF type coils.
      And my ballpark is just a few hundred ohms, usually do a plus offset on the slug coil of a bridge pickup.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        It doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good, and you accomplish your objective.
        Agreed, but it begged the question (for me) of how can a spread of 3,000Ω (40% - 50%) sound good and hum cancel if conventional wisdom says use only a few hundred ohms spread to achieve that result.

I don't think the OP was really talking about 43 and 42 combined.
        Agreed

He was just wanting to get a ballpark offset of what other winders do, probably on PAF type coils.
        And my ballpark is just a few hundred ohms, usually on the slug coil of a bridge pickup.
        Most likely true.

But I've always been one that doesn't believe that all learning is best done by just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. I find it useful to try to learn and understand (where possible) a bit of it too. This venue is typically a great place for that as there are a number of members here that really do know their shit about various aspects of winding. The only thing members here readily don't offer up (and justifiably so) is the secrets to their favourite recipes, which may also be what the OP have been unconsciously asking about.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

We try to keep this area to general winding, and problems.
          I encourage all theory, design, and engineering in the main Forum.
          They get as deep as you want over there.
          Mike and Joe can tell you what effects different wire gauge offsets, coil weight, ohms vs turns, etc.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I find the closer the mismatch, the smoother the tone .
            I like a closer mismatch for the neck , & for the bridge .well depending on what you aiming for the sky is the limit .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

+1 What Copper Said!
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                Agreed, but it begged the question (for me) of how can a spread of 3,000Ω (40% - 50%) sound good and hum cancel if conventional wisdom says use only a few hundred ohms spread to achieve that result....

This venue is typically a great place for that as there are a number of members here that really do know their shit about various aspects of winding.
                Joe Gwinn has addressed this in the past.
                Here are a few links:
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t4130/#post32148
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t37487-2/#post357756
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t1837-2/#post12312

Executive Summary:
                - If the bobbins are "identical" (e.g. dual-blade HB), and the turns counts match within 10%, hum should be imperceptible in a gig environment.
                - Getting more technical: If the bobbins have different coil areas and core materials, then match the product of turns x area x permeability.
                - Getting less technical: Any amount of humbucking is more than no humbucking.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                X