Thread: Peavey Classic VTX transformer OEM

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Peavey Classic VTX transformer OEM

Does anyone know where to purchase this have searched ebay, the only thing that comes close is a Peavey Classic 50 transformer
    is there another transformer that would work? Maybe someone has a spare one they are willing to sell something? if so can someone
    please let me know thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,267/7
    WHICH transformer? Output or Power?

The output transformer is 70500203 Peavey part number. I imagine now 35 years later, that Peavey no longer has them in stock. Any 50 watt OT suited to a pair of 6L6 would work, the Classic 50 uses EL84 though. The problem is that this amp uses the ultralinear taps. A transformer with UL taps is less common. You have the alternative of adding screen resistors and wiring it up conventionally.

The power transformer is another story. It needs the standard HV winding to provide 500+ volts for B+. And enough 6vAC for the power tubes. But it also needs a 40vCT winding to make the 15v rails for the preamp.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Sunn 200S OT uses UL taps but for 6L6s.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    WHICH transformer? Output or Power?

The output transformer is 70500203 Peavey part number. I imagine now 35 years later, that Peavey no longer has them in stock. Any 50 watt OT suited to a pair of 6L6 would work, the Classic 50 uses EL84 though. The problem is that this amp uses the ultralinear taps. A transformer with UL taps is less common. You have the alternative of adding screen resistors and wiring it up conventionally.

The power transformer is another story. It needs the standard HV winding to provide 500+ volts for B+. And enough 6vAC for the power tubes. But it also needs a 40vCT winding to make the 15v rails for the preamp.

It was the Output transformer because it was not putting out sound at all had a tech check it. They stated that the transformer was blown only option is to get a new one.So then the Sunn transformer that gbono recommended should work in theory correct. Im getting a ray of hope.

Last edited by dogcatchersito; 11-15-2015 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    You might also look at replacement OTs for the Dynaco tube amps - very similar design to the Sunn amp. I happen to have a mercury magnetics 200S OT that they custom built for me using my old OT from a 200S - MM turned around and started selling this design shortly after for $$$.

Search this site for a OT transformer winding tester and build one of these to check and see if you OT has a shorted turn. Did your tech substitute in another OT to verify the problem?

Supporting Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 448/0
    Given: 88/0
    +1 on double-checking the transformer. Even a transformer with a shorted turn will produce some sound - low volume and very distorted, though. I always make certain beyond any doubt that a transformer is defective before replacing it. There are many other more common faults that are likely to result in no output and a transformer is down the list somewhat.

'Blown ' is such a general term - I like to know what's exactly wrong. An easy first check it to measure the windings with a multimeter to see if there's any continuity, then to use R.G.'s neon tester method to check for a short.

That's not to say that it isn't faulty, it's just that it's easy to mis-diagnose.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2,267/7
    I think this is a good time to get a "second opinion" from another tech. Those transformers fail so rarely, such a diagnosis is always suspect. many techs have mistaken a shorted flyback diode as a bad transformer.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thread Information