Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer THUMP 15 Dead

Have a DOA THUMP that uses a FAN 7631 SMPS

Customer said the unit fell off the stand. Internally no board crack or anything. I did take the chopper xfr out and it was cracked, but windings and pin connections are all fine.

I replaced the FAN7631 and FETS since I figured start there, as I had very low start up voltage to the IC. Still getting around 5v when It should be 12. Chopper won't fire up

There is HVcc and LVcc pins which I assume are high and low side B+ of the fet drive stages. Start up resistor network checks fine too. Full b+ 310vdc

really a pain to work around all the RTV they gobbed up in there

Any ideas? Thx in adv
    Attached Files

Originally posted by guitardad View Post
    Have a DOA THUMP that uses a FAN 7631 SMPS

Customer said the unit fell off the stand. Internally no board crack or anything. I did take the chopper xfr out and it was cracked, but windings and pin connections are all fine.

I replaced the FAN7631 and FETS since I figured start there, as I had very low start up voltage to the IC. Still getting around 5v when It should be 12. Chopper won't fire up

There is HVcc and LVcc pins which I assume are high and low side B+ of the fet drive stages. Start up resistor network checks fine too. Full b+ 310vdc

really a pain to work around all the RTV they gobbed up in there

Any ideas? Thx in adv
    Maybe this will help. Be careful these can be dangerous
    nosaj

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm
    Bad startup circuit - initial base (gate) drive is often provided by a high value, high power resistor or resistors from the rectified AC voltage. These can simply open for no good reason.
    Symptoms: In this case the supply will appear totally dead but all the semiconductors will check out and no fuses will blow. Check the startup resistors with an ohmmeter - power resistors in the AC line input section. WARNING: there will be full voltage on the main filter capacitor(s) - 1X or 2X peak or around 160 or 320 VDC depending on design. Discharge before probing.

Dried up capacitors - either input or output side.
    Symptoms: The main filter capacitor may dry up or open and cause the output to be pulsing at 60 (50) or 120 (100) Hz and all kinds of regulation problems. Measure voltage across main filter capacitor(s). If the reading is low and drops to a much lower value or 0 instantly upon pulling the plug, then one of these capacitors may be open or dried up. If you have an oscilloscope, monitor for ripple (use an isolation transformer!!). Excess ripple under moderate load is an indication of a dried up or open capacitor.

In extreme cases, a main filter capacitor with greatly reduce capacity or that is totally open may result in failure of the switchmode transistor and a dead supply that blows fuses or fusable resistors. Therefore, it is always a good idea to test the electrolytic capacitors whenever repairing a SMPS that has blown its switchmode transistor.

Capacitors in the low voltage section may fail causing regulation problems. Sometimes there are slew rate limiting capacitors which feed from the primary output to the regulator controller to limit initial in-rush and overshoot. A failure of one of these may mess up regulation at the very least. For example, excess leakage may reduce the output of the main output (and as a consequence, all the others as well).

Where a controller like a UC3842 is used, a failure of the capacitor on its Vcc pin may result in a aborted startup or cycling behavior as it is starved for juice each time it pulses the switchmode power transistor:

(From: John Hopkins (bugs71@ptdprolog.net).)

"I have encountered a bad cap (10uf 35v) on the Vcc input of a UC3842 IC in the power supply. Turn unit on, get very short burst of power supply output, then nothing. Every time the 3842 output a pulse, it ran out of VCC. Small part, big problem."
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Yeah this one is just another weird Loud product. They want to sell you a board assy. Might have to go that route if they want it done.
      based on the problem description (unit fell off teh stand and went dead), I've had to remove all the RTV blasted all over the caps etc to see if there were any cracks. Checked all smps components for lead damage. I'll also check the feed thrus for opens.
      Nothing poking out so I set it aside to get some other work done before having to gig myself.

I've worked on many SMPS before, but this one is a tad bit different than most I have seen with single chopper drivers. This one also uses an additional coil for feedback vs opto isol.

last I checked, still trying to determine what is loading down the IC vss pins to just under 5v. I have to retrieve my iso variac from a friend first before I can scope this out.

Comment

C79 was bad.... breaking down under load. Measured 24K, lowered to under 10K if heated some.

If you get one of these that won't turn on, but the FETS etc check ok, look at the startup circuit around the FAN7631.

Comment

Working...
        X