Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what the "tiny terror" circuit is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, good luck.
    Everything is relative, but what I call "regular/good/commercial" parts is "what Leo or Jim would have bought in this case".
    Or what Peavey USA (known for its reliability) would buy today.
    Mesa or Soldano normally use "better than average" parts, that would be a realistic limit.
    Beyond that, probably there are even "better" parts available somewhere, why not?, but increases in price are huge for very little extra improvement.
    Post your amp when you finish it, I´m sure it will be gorgeous.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Ok, good luck.
      Everything is relative, but what I call "regular/good/commercial" parts is "what Leo or Jim would have bought in this case".
      Or what Peavey USA (known for its reliability) would buy today.
      Mesa or Soldano normally use "better than average" parts, that would be a realistic limit.
      Beyond that, probably there are even "better" parts available somewhere, why not?, but increases in price are huge for very little extra improvement.
      Post your amp when you finish it, I´m sure it will be gorgeous.
      Thanks for the respect and the encouragement! I don't know what you have to base that on, but okay. :B I plan on documenting it as I go along, and discussing the work materials and the process in intimate detail in the interest of those like me who are looking for answers and something that gives better clues than what I've found on the net pertaining to this so far. Not only for their best interest, but my own; I'm hoping others might spot mistakes and be able to contribute insight and appreciation. Part of the reason I'm posting here is that this thread was a lot closer to that than anything else I've found, and there are lots of very helpful fellow travelers here. What I find most lacking is visual aids and photographs, generally. But at least information is more abundant and readable here.

Admittedly, I'm picky. I go beyond my means at times. But I'm not unreasonable or insensible. Beyond that, if you can tell me something finite about components you've used in the past, great. If not, oh well. If you can point me to a good source for bulk parts and resources at great prices, better still. The real issue is that I don't even know "what Leo or Jim would have bought in this case," you follow?

Thanks again for your time and help.

Another question: Why is turret board so popular? I find it quite attractive and commonsensical, of course. But it seems to me there are lots of ways to achieve point-to-point construction; why is this one preferred above others? Does the added heft provided to soldered connections by turrets increase conductivity and create stronger, more easily made and maintained joints? Just suppositions that have occurred to me upon inspection, really.. forgive me if I'm plain wrong.

Comment

• The real issue is that I don't even know "what Leo or Jim would have bought in this case," you follow?
        I´m outside USA, but I think fellow members will be able to offer better suggestions
        As a general rule, serious parts suppliers such as Mouser, Digi Key, etc. do not stock or offer junk, so you are safe with them.
        Now, EBay offers and such .... you are on your own.
        If your schematic calls for, say, ".047uFx400V Polyester" or "22uFx25V Electrolytic" , just search for that part in any of the above mentioned suppliers.
        You´ll probably find 4 or 5 suggestions for parts matching that spec. with a more or less uniform price , and maybe 1 or 2 "improved" ones, for a much highet one, meaning they work fine in the surface of Mars or subject to 60G or are "NASA approved" for use in communications satellites.
        Well, you don´t really *need* any of the latter .... unless your amplifier will be carried aboard a spaceship for the astronauts to be able to chicken pick and twang on the surface of Mars when they feel homesick.

Good luck.
        Last edited by J M Fahey; 12-11-2011, 10:26 PM.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Yes. Fellow members can help but they may hesitate to feed another parts discussion of this nature.
          I suggest that you search the forum for parts suppliers discussions and the many discussions about parts and materials.
          Also best to start a new thread. You will get more focussed attention. (i.e. More of the membership will understand what you are after. This thread has going for so long that many may pass it by when they see the original subject line)
          Wecome to the forum.
          Last edited by Tom Phillips; 12-11-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by synthesis
            Synthesis Winding Technologies Pvt. Ltd ...
            Spammer

Comment

• Agree.
              The problem is not only the SPAM itself, but this shows that automated spambots can get in disguised as legitimate users.
              Any similarity to viruses and spyware is NOT a coincidence.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• hey guys first time poster. Sorry to drag this thread up from the depths, but I was wondering, does anyone have a definitive answer for what mains transformer to use, living in the UK (240V) and if I wanted to use the half power switch?

I was planning to use the mercury magnetics trannies for my build, but they only supply with US/Canada mains. I'm entirely new to all of this (I've built one of ampmaker's kits and done a few mods) but fancied giving the TT a go. This thread is really great for everything, so thanks to all previous contributors!

Comment

• transformers

Originally posted by Tinners1983 View Post
                  hey guys first time poster. Sorry to drag this thread up from the depths, but I was wondering, does anyone have a definitive answer for what mains transformer to use, living in the UK (240V) and if I wanted to use the half power switch?

I was planning to use the mercury magnetics trannies for my build, but they only supply with US/Canada mains. I'm entirely new to all of this (I've built one of ampmaker's kits and done a few mods) but fancied giving the TT a go. This thread is really great for everything, so thanks to all previous contributors!
                  Your transformer must be:
                  - primary: 240V
                  - secondary1: 250V 125mA
                  - secondary2: 180V 125mA
                  - secondary3: 6.3V 3A

Comment

• Transformers? i'd buy a set of take-offs from somebody who is "upgrading" to the MM iron.
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

• Originally posted by bob p View Post
                      Transformers? i'd buy a set of take-offs from somebody who is "upgrading" to the MM iron.
                      I'd love to start with the MMs, my idea is to make an upgraded one.

Thanks Clambom, I'll have another hunt around, otherwise I'll have to get someone to make a custom order.

Comment

• This is a long thread, so forgive me if this has been said already. Why don't you take your amp, and then just build a marhsall 18W preamp into it. Leave the PI and power amp. That's easier and probably cheaper than redoing everything. Should sound great.

Comment

• Originally posted by isaac View Post
                          This is a long thread, so forgive me if this has been said already. Why don't you take your amp, and then just build a marhsall 18W preamp into it. Leave the PI and power amp. That's easier and probably cheaper than redoing everything. Should sound great.
                          forgive me if I sound rude, but this is something I have observed throughout the internet and message boards. If I wanted an 18W marshall, I may have asked "how do I make an 18W Marshall?" or even posted on the dedicated forum about that. I appreciate people's input but this is a thread entitled "anyone know what the Tiny Terror circuit is?" not the "Suggest everyone makes an 18W Marshall because its what I would do" thread.

You are right, it may well sound great. Except that I may want to create a modern hard rock sound, not a 60's post blues sound.

I don't mean to single you out and pick on you, as I say this is a general observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tinners1983 View Post
                            forgive me if I sound rude, but this is something I have observed throughout the internet and message boards. If I wanted an 18W marshall, I may have asked "how do I make an 18W Marshall?" or even posted on the dedicated forum about that. I appreciate people's input but this is a thread entitled "anyone know what the Tiny Terror circuit is?" not the "Suggest everyone makes an 18W Marshall because its what I would do" thread.

You are right, it may well sound great. Except that I may want to create a modern hard rock sound, not a 60's post blues sound.

I don't mean to single you out and pick on you, as I say this is a general observation.
                            Hi Tinners1983,
                            First let me say "welcome to the forum. It's good to have you join us".
                            After that, I agree with you that there are posters who respond with what seems like a good idea at the time (I'm sure that I do it) that kinda falls flat. I have been lurking about on this thread off and on for a while... it is an old thread, after all... and I can see that you have only joined and posted recently. Not everybody does the full background check before jumping in the middle of a conversation.
                            You might also heed the advice Tom Phillips gave another poster just a few entries north. Don't be afraid to start a new thread that focuses on your specific question; in this case the PT. I am sure your question gets answered, this is a pretty knowledgeable bunch, hailing from all sides of the Atlantic, and other oceans besides. Good luck!
                            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

• Yup, I see what you mean tinners, sorry... Anyway, I will offer one more piece of advice on my old suggestion... sorry again, but you can configure the 18w marshall preamp, or just mod it to be harder rock, as it is really a good all around amp for even hard rock if you really crank it... but i guess that wouldn't be preferable.

Comment

• It amazes me that people are so eager to drop big money for a MM iron upgrade for this amp -- especially at the tremendously overpriced retail cost for MM iron. This amp doesn't need it. I've been a dealer for MM for over a decade, since back in the day before the time that MM became expensive "boutique" iron. I've installed scores of different MM iron in various circuits (more than 60 amps and probably less than 100) and I honestly don't think the MM iron upgrade for this amp is money well spent. I think the smartest guys in the room are the DIY builders who buy the take-off iron that people sell on ebay after they do the expensive MM "upgrade."

The guys at Orange really did their homework. This amp comes right out of the box with almost every trick/mod/tweak that experienced amp builders use to improve the tone of a 6BQ5 amp. the only thing that's missing is a tube upgrade from the cheap Chinese tubes to something better, and the Paul Ruby Zener thingy. Those are the first and last mods that this amp really needs. Not much that you need to do with this amp to make it sound it's best, which out of the box is a whole lot better than the garden variety 18-watter.

Jm2C. YMMV.
                                Last edited by bob p; 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM. Reason: added the word "box" for clarity
                                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                                X