Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best sounding SS amp you all have encountered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For solid state amps I would differentiate between analog and digital. At this point I think that is a bigger distinction than that between tube and solid state. So here are the currently available 100% analog ss amps that I would recommend:

Fender Princeton 65 (1999).
    These sell used for $100-150 and have a really great clean channel- with 65 watts you will be heard. The OD channel needs to be modded to get decent sounds but the Normal channel takes pedals very well so in lieu of mods I would suggest running an OD pedal. These amps are LOUD so a master volume is a good addition. Adding a MV to a ss amp using op amps is very easy and very transparent. There is a 47k NFB resistor R59 on U5a which is the last op amp stage in the preamp and is immediately before the pre out and power in jacks which then goes into the power amp section. If only it was so easy to add a completely transparent MV to a tube amp! Recommended mods for the Normal channel include an adjustable mid control and a switch for the treble cap, which work just like they do in the BF tone stack only the values are adjusted for the lower impedance (capacitance x 10, resistance divided by 10.) BTW the Princeton 112+ for maybe $25 less is also good but requires more mods (main one is replacing the 470R mid resistor with the 1K8 value used in the P65.)

Champion 30 (1999) or Champion 110 (1992)
    These sell used for $60-120 and are basically the same although the C110 has a 25 watt output while the C30 has 30 watts. They sound pretty good without mods if you fiddle with the controls- for me that would be keeping the treble and the Drive channel gain controls turned down to 1.5 or 2. I really like the distortion when you crank up the Normal channel; it ain't BF breakup but it ain't bad either. As with the Princeton 65 and 112+ you are better off running an OD pedal into the Normal channel. BTW all 4 of these amps have real spring reverb and have cabinets built like tanks.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Whatever amp I am working on is always "the best amp ever" to me so there is that bias- but these really are great amps for blue, country and all of the varieties of roots rock.And with pedal they are also great for classic hard rock.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• Its funny but I did a recording with a Boss ME 50 thru the clean channel of a Fender 65R and it sounded pretty darn good, a couple of people asked what I was using and I didn't really want to say a Fender Frontman 65R...

My daughter has a small Fender 25R with the metal grill and surprisingly that little amp doesn't sound too bad, pretty good for a practice amp...

RMS, don't sell all your tube amps just for SS amps... I did that some years back and got really stupid and sold and old Marshall non master 50 watt head... I could have kicked myself as that was the second time I did that in the last many years. SS is fun for a while but you will miss the tube tone...

Comment

• I have not tested any SS lately, but I was very impressed with the Fender Deluxe 112 back in the 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
          I have not tested any SS lately, but I was very impressed with the Fender Deluxe 112 back in the 90s.
          I had on of those Deluxe 112, it was a good sounding amp. I Liked it.

Here is a youtube video of a old 1981 Peavey special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSO7...bNNvObX4QdH6TA

The sound quality of the video camera isn't that good.

Comment

• ah- acoustic control amps- Alvin lee 260 model.........the 470.........the 230 albert king.......sunn ......a la leslie west......all these are a gas when used with outboard distortion pedals [and noise gates].......sustain and compression- a heck of a lot of fun.....me, I don't get on too well with tube amps anymore......and am proud to defend ss amps......!.......

Comment

• The modern Vox Pathfinder 15R is a lovely amp. A customer who plays swing and jump showed me one, it has this soft vintage crunch with a woody sounding guitar.

In the UK a genius called Stewart Ward made the Sessionette 75, I try to have a couple about as 'courtesy amps' for customers in need of a spare, 100 watts of headroom, gorgeous chime and again a nice soft crunch. He's making SS amps again:

Award Session Website. ClearTone Custom Cables, Standard Cables, Session amplifiers, Sessionette, RetroTone

Comment

• I really kind of think that the "best" tag has to be clarified by what kind of MUSIC you are wanting to do. Best clean SS amp for a jazzy type tone(and I am NOT a jazzy type guitar player) was an old Acoustic 150 head through almost anything as far as cabs. I played it through a Acoustic 204 cab(4x12) and it was great. Actually sounded really good pedaled too. Other than that. most SS stuff really is lacking in touch sensitivity and drive. They can be loud bud not a lot of definition. That being said, the original solo for reeling in the years (the last one, I think) was done with Eliot playing through a bass amp. Not really sure of manufacture or SS or tube but who can argue the results! I recorded a version of this and used an old PA head with my pedal board in front of it. Worked fine. You never KNOW what will work until you try it! Mike.

Comment

• I have the craziest old thing; it's called "The Thunderer" by PWR Sonic. Never seen another (although someone on this board years ago said he'd owned one) it has two Oxford twelves (dated '72) Click image for larger version

Name:	PWR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	833487 It's badassedness incarnate. The tremelo is otherworldly and can be "mixed" with the dry signal from the non-tremelo channel...it needs a little love but is definitely a great sounding amp. It also has a kickstand in the back and the plexi-glass logo lights-up (with a new bulb)...

Comment

• [QUOTE=Steve Conner;13716]I don't care what anyone says, the Peavey Bandit combo that Slobrain hates sounded great for metal

4444QUOTE]

I was wrong, the Bandit 65 does sound good with a Boss ME50 ran thru it. Surprise....

Comment

• A Peavey Bandit 112 with Celestion Vintage 30.

Comment

• +1 for frontman 212

A friend gave me his when he moved, and it was much better than I expected. I don't need another amp, and I have been meaning to sell it for a couple of years, but I can't quite bring myself to follow through. It's a great practice or rehearsal amp, imho. I think it's not as loud as even a smallish tube amp, but unlike most SS amps I have used, it sounds OK cranked, and hasn't broken yet. Clean channel is very clean, but maybe not quite as hi-fi as a jazz chorus, for example. Reverb sounds adequately fender-y, distortion channel sounds like a very good distortion pedal; if I could buy it as a pedal, I would. Bonus points: doesn't weigh a ton, and doesn't burn tubes while you practice. It would probably also be a good choice for teaching.

Downsides are maybe that the amp is very bright (I keep the treble at 4), and it doesn't have the best crunch sound -- it's either clean, or sounds like a distortion pedal, albeit a pretty good one. You might need a tubescreamer for that.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by elipsey View Post
                          Downsides are maybe that the amp is very bright (I keep the treble at 4), and it doesn't have the best crunch sound -- it's either clean, or sounds like a distortion pedal, albeit a pretty good one. You might need a tubescreamer for that.
                          The FM212 uses the same basic circuit that Fender has been using in their line of pro quality SS amps like the Deluxe 112+, with a few new tweaks not in the older amps. Their preamp circuit is very easy to modify to cut down the treble as well as the gain in the overdrive channel. With op amps there is a NFB resistor that allows you to set the gain from unity to infinity and beyond! Well, maybe not infinite gain but the maximum gain that the chip can produce...

If you know which side of a soldering iron to hold (hint: its not the sharp end that gets hot) I could give you a few suggestions. I would tell the whole world that this series of Fenders has some of the best ss amps ever but then that would raise the price of the used amps...

Steve

P.S. I haven't tried the FM212 so I don't know how the reverb or speakers sound- but I do know that the circuit is great!
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:

Comment

• Fender has used the same solid-state preamp design with small variations from the days CBS sold the company to its executives and it became FMIC. Interestingly, there are also Asian OEM vendors that copied the design so I have seen the very same Fender preamp design in some OEM'd amps like certain Randall RG series models. There was also a "tube emulation" effect presented in some electronics magazine and it was practically another clone of Fender's preamp design.

Comment

• Originally posted by teemuk View Post
                              Fender has used the same solid-state preamp design with small variations from the days CBS sold the company to its executives and it became FMIC.
                              So what were the SS amp models between 1985 and 1990 that you are referring to? I'd like to check out the schematics on them as part of my study of the evolution of those circuits. BTW were you referring to the Normal channel or the Abnormal, er, Drive channel? I like the basic design of both channels but at least for my ears they need some tweaking.

I don't think of the preamps being particularly tube-like but I guess that is just me. So was "Dynamic Response" part of the early design or added in later?

Thanks for all of the information!

Steve
                              The Blue Guitar
                              www.blueguitar.org
                              Some recordings:

Comment

• Yeah, I used to gig with the stereo head version, with the matching GK 2 x 12 cab. The cab was so heavy! It sounds great, but you really have to tweak it for a good sound...I got fed up with fiddling with it on stage, and got a 2 x 12 Blues DeVille back when they first came out in the 90's...no more fiddling. The GK was very pricey when I bought it...IIRC all said and done with cab it was like $1500.

The only other SS amp I was ever fond of was a Fender M80.

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post
                                I did many a gig with either a 250ml or rl (head only version). I used to plug up a couple of JBLs 12s in two abandoned Deluxe Reverb cabinets that I attached closed backs to. Sounded really good at times. I used EMGs and an MXR Microamp built into my guitar so it was pretty darn bright, but otherwise.

Later on I used a Strat with it - I did some recording with that rig. It was a bit cold and sterile sounding on the clean stuff. The distorted stuff sounded just okay for rhythms, but I have this one thing I recorded where I used a Univibe through the distortion channel for a solo. Stunning! I've never gotten a better sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X