Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best sounding SS amp you all have encountered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And that, my friend, is why we're going to digital modelling!
    ST in Phoenix

Comment

• What, are the EU going to ban tubes as well?

Some people still appreciate simple analog circuits that do one thing properly, instead of digital models that make a hundred half-assed attempts at a hundred different things.

(How many people in this thread nominated a digital modeller as their favourite amp?)
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Thomas Organ Vox Royal Guardsman.
        UK Vox Supreme/Conqueror/Defiant.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

• I'm surprised no one has chimed in about a valvestate marshall- I've heard a few that sounded decent before I gut them for parts and build tube amps out of them.

I think it's interesting that the valvestate marshalls are hybrids using a tube for only the cathode follower on the gain channel.

My first amp was an early crate, not sure of the model. I still have the 2 "crate" looking 1x12 cabs with original eminence 4 ohm 12's that came with it but the head is long gone. It had pretty decent clean sounds and worked well with pedals but the distortion it generated with the gain knob cranked up was pretty terrible. I liked the reverb though- not super deep and surfy but in a good way.

jamie

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
            (How many people in this thread nominated a digital modeller as their favourite amp?)
            That would be me. I'm seriously thinking about selling everything except the Boss GT-Pro, Korg G4, EH Q Tron, and maybe a Boss BF-2. I want to wait another generation for the Fractal Axe, but I think that's where I'm headed.

Every time I play the GT-Pro, I just can't see myself going back to amps & pedals. I love having all the options at the push of a button.

Now I just need to find someone in the Phoenix area who wants an Ampeg VL-503 - too heavy to ship....
            ST in Phoenix

Comment

• As much of a tube snob as I am, I do think there are some amazing SS amps out there.

JC-120 for cleans, older Valvestate heads, and the OT'd Peavey XXL are all great, but unfortunately are all one trick ponies. But they are good at the one trick they do.

Another amp that hasn't been mentioned, but was very well received in the metal scene, is the Ampeg VH-140c. I had one for about 10 years and then parted with it, now I can't find one in a decent condition.

Comment

• I played one of those in Guitar Center once. I was really surprised how good the distortion sounded. Apparently it impressed others as well, it got me invited by an employee to participate in their guitar playing contest (which I won). The clean sound though was completely lifeless and dull as I recall it.

Comment

• Todd Rundgren used Sunn SS amps on his live Utopia album. Amazing! John McLaughlin used them on occasion in the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Back in the mid Seventies, I played my keyboard player's Sunn Concert head through a 4x12 one night and was shocked at how good it sounded. Wanted immediately to dump my way too heavy and way too loud Ampeg V-4.

Frank Marino used Acoustic SS amps to great effect in Mahogany Rush. Amazing sounds!

Comment

• I did many a gig with either a 250ml or rl (head only version). I used to plug up a couple of JBLs 12s in two abandoned Deluxe Reverb cabinets that I attached closed backs to. Sounded really good at times. I used EMGs and an MXR Microamp built into my guitar so it was pretty darn bright, but otherwise.

Later on I used a Strat with it - I did some recording with that rig. It was a bit cold and sterile sounding on the clean stuff. The distorted stuff sounded just okay for rhythms, but I have this one thing I recorded where I used a Univibe through the distortion channel for a solo. Stunning! I've never gotten a better sound.

Comment

• Randall Rd100es

The Randall rd100es is the best ss amp i've owned.I know what most are thinking ,thats the Pantera amp,but I tell you if you just plug into it ,you can't sound like dimebag .The amp is really warm for a ss,the sound is closer to brown then the way beyond driven tone its touted to have.The clean is kinda lackluster,but add a little chorus and it livens up amazingly.The distorntion as said is really brown,and enough gain for most players,need more?Just pull the treable knob out and you get even more gain,but the volume drops in half.Randall later made a little box you connect between the line out and the speaker out and this kinda fixes the drop,most do a mod to the amp to fix it as well.Only downfall?The tone really changes as the volume increases so there are sweet spots and not so sweet spots mine sounded really sweet at 4-5,above that the transistors start to show up in the tone,but for some reason at full volume the thing gets a really hendrix type tone but it is so loud most can't bear it .Now can this amp sound like dime?yeah with alot of effects and the right guitar and of course the right player.I got van halen tones alot easier.well thats my 2cents.

Comment

• Best sounding SS amp you all have encountered

With out a doubt the best I have owed is the Ampeg VH-140C. Think roland jazz chorus and then multiply it by 100! I have two of these jems the clean is un-matched and the lead can do anything you want for real I can go from a SRV sound all the way to killswitch engage! Plus the stereo chorus on this thing is the best i've heard, reverb is useable. I usually disconnect the internal speakers and run one or two 4x12's in stereo. this thing has all the volume and tones you could ever need out of one little 2x12 combo! 140 watts stereo
                        buy one and you will not be disapointed! Just my 2 cents
                        See ya!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• 2+2=

are we up to 4 cents now?

Comment

• had a 50w Yamaha combo: worthless with no sustain.

there is a HUGE amount of love for a Fender Metalhead.... for death/doom/foestus reuben metal which likely means it sounds...

terrible!

Comment

• yamaha

I had a 100 watt yamaha combo when i was a kid,the only thing i can say good about it was it was loud! It had a knob called distortion but that should have been labeled the suck knob,just plain awful distortion ,also it had 1 15 inch speaker insteed of the 212 setup.wasn't bad though if you ran really good pedals in front of it .

Comment

• I'd like to add two amps I almost forgot about: Univox U130L and U200L, from their "Mobile Ohm" SS series. The reason for the selectable output impedance was that they had an OT! SS Class A/B with some iron you could saturate. Now THOSE amps had some tone and heat!!!
                                John R. Frondelli
                                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
                                X