No announcement yet.

Cost of producing a 20W amp with 6V6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool but 17 *real* Watts out of a nominal "20W" amp is VERY good.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just discover another component!!! The power ON-OFF DPDT power switches from Weber have problem. When I build a A/B amp to A/B speaker box, I found the switch measure a few ohms across the contact intermittently. I first thought it's just one defective switch. Turn out all 6 of them ( 3 ON-ON and 3 ON-OFF-ON) all have intermittent resistance across contact. This is verified that I was not seeing things when I switch speaker that sometimes there is no sound until I switch back and fore to get the sound back.

Weber stuffs might be cheap, but buyers beware. Now I have to open the amp and change the switch. This is not safe because it you pass even 1A, you can develop a few volts across the contact and dissipates a few watts. You can smoke or catch on fire!!!

Comment

I just received the PT for a 40W amp from Weber. I yet to test the windings, I am crossing my fingers that this one is balanced. It's is very cheap, $59 including the stand up bell housing.....if it works!!!! You can't beat the price from China!!!!

Comment

It's a beauty, all voltage tested correctly this time. This is W022798INT $50 and $9 for the stand up bell housing.

Starting to drill tube holes tomorrow on the new amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
            I am doing some rough calculations of manufacturing a 20W 1X12 combo in low volume. Here is my guessing with a production run of 10 and this is cost per amp:

1) Chassis, front plate and cabinet: $250
            2) 3 transformers PT, OT and choke: $70
            3) Speaker: $50.
            4) pots and knobs: $10
            5) Tubes: $60
            6) Filter caps: $30
            7) pcb and other components: $50.

That is $540 just for parts!!!

You still need labor to build, test and shipping. Then you need to have profit. How do you make money? I think my guessing cost is very low for low volume production of 10 to test the market.

Say your target price is $1000. You have to sell it to the music store for no more than say $600. You'll be building the amp for almost nothing!!!! Also, at $1000, you are competing with Fender Super Sonic and Marshall DSL40C which both are mighty amps.
            I know this thread is old already but I think your brainstorming the cost of an amp run is way off on the low side. A 20w D lux transformer bundle for Classic Tone Transformers is 122.95 plus at 10-15$ shipping.
            I don't know where you are buying cabinets, faceplates and chassis but a 1-12 cab is generally in the vicinity 250-275 plus shipping.
            If you have your own chassis made by a reputable machine/metal shop the cost should be 50-60$ a piece in lots of 10 plus you have to pay for a prototype which could be 75-100$ to make sure all is well.
            You left out tube sockets, fuse, fuse holder, power indicator, bulb, screws, nuts, washers, ground lugs, power cord, grommets, wire, switches, mounting screws/bolts, jacks, solder, standoffs, 1/4" plug etc. Just packaging an amp properly for shipping could add $30.00 to the cost and add in the labor to do it. And what about the cost of maintaining a web site, a shop, telephone, internet, heat, electricity.......
            I also think your speaker cost is too low and needs to include shipping. If you think in the $750.00 to $850.00 depending on features, you would be closer in estimating.
            This has been my costs recently.
            Quite frankly to be in the amp building business you either have to be lucky, or have an alternate means of supporting yourself. Name recognition is everything and until you achieve big name recognition you will be selling your products for a fraction of there value. Forget about being in a store. They will make all the profit and you will only get responsibility.
            Last edited by roknroll17; 10-27-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Don't forget the cost of marketing, travel to NANM, meeting with musicians.

That's why I don't even want to talk about selling. I built two amp I like, one is 20W and this one is about 35W. They're never going to leave my house!! I designed a few pedals also and granted a patent early this year in noise cancellation of single coil pickup. I have no intention going out to market any of these, not even worth my time, just doing it for fun and challenge.

I am already moving on to design and building an audiophile power amp for my own use. These are my crossword puzzle for retirement.

Comment

Working...
              X