Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i didnt notice the amp was 110v so i plugged it to 220v is it gone or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom's right - the PT will saturate before the secondaries can hit double the input voltages, so the secondaries only got maybe 140-160% of normal. The PT primary will draw very large currents from the saturation removing its ability to hold off incoming current, so the AC mains line fuse will blow.

The question remains whether the insides will be damaged at whatever excess voltage they got. Can't tell from here. Replace the fuse, try it and say a prayer to the amplifier gods as you do it.

Ummmmmm... a low end amp without a mains fuse most likely has a dedicated fuse buried inside the PT. That's not a good indication.
    Last edited by R.G.; 08-18-2016, 10:09 PM.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Well, there's theory and then there's practice. I shipped a Bosch Lithium powered tool set and charger (USA spec) to someone in NZ. Unfortunately they did the pin converter thing without a step-down transformer, and they immediately blew out the power supply in the charger. Not a fuse, not the tranny, they blew out the passives and the actives. Never say never.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

If it's a brand new unit with a reciept and is a DNR/exchange warranty. Send it back to where you got it and say it never worked. They probably will just replace it without opening it if it doesn't smell like smoke. Lol.

Comment

Unfortunately the amp is not in the USA and most probably was brought in as luggage ,so warranty even if valid (in USA that is) is unusable there.

In any case the amp is relatively simple so with some guidance a local Tech or Tech friend will be able to repair it.

Even if the transformer is dead, a relatively inexpensive generic 12+12V 1A (25 VA) one which is available anywhere will do.

The amp itself is very good, just needs a decent speaker.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            The schematic that Jazz posted does not even show a fuse. (?)
            Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            No fuse is shown on the schematic, anywhere.
            WTH.
            Originally posted by R.G. View Post
            Ummmmmm... a low end amp without a mains fuse most likely has a dedicated fuse buried inside the PT.
            Did anyone even open the picture in post #2 ??? It clearly shows an inline fuse holder on the AC mains lead. No fuse indicated in the schematic not withstanding. I even circled it boldly and added text that says "FUSE".

I'm not actually ranting. I just thought it was funny.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

FWIW: The guy in this thread says his original fuse was 160ma.

Marshall MG10CF amp fuse recommended rating | MarshallForum.com
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Attached pic of the fuse info on a MG10CF. Same as Chucks pic, just different angle. Neat little amps, particularly on clean channel. Rich beyond the 6.5 spkr.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MG10CF fuse rating.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	843357

Comment

Originally posted by Archie Speed View Post
                  Attached pic of the fuse info on a MG10CF. Same as Chucks pic, just different angle. Neat little amps, particularly on clean channel. Rich beyond the 6.5 spkr.
                  Well, dammit, what's the value of the fuse?
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                    Well, dammit, what's the value of the fuse?
                    Read the picture.

110V / 120V = T315mA L/250V
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Hey !!! donīt get mad at me !!!!!
                      I swear I didnīt see the fuse or its value !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        Hey !!! donīt get mad at me !!!!!
                        I swear I didnīt see the fuse or its value !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Do you have another pic with the dog's tail between its legs?
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                        X