My 2003 palomino v32 rattles - gets am radio - gets hot - sound is mushy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2003 palomino v32 rattles - gets am radio - gets hot - sound is mushy

The headline says it all. I have had this amp to 2 techs ... to discover and fix an overall RATTLE from the amp (somewhere) which is worse when hitting an open A. And - a very present MUSHIENESS at volumes above 3 or 4.
    I tried to isolate the speaker by running the amp through a different cab - and it was much better ...

DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO ...

>>> switch-out the existing CELESTION speaker with an EMINENCE LEGEND 1258 ... 12" Guitar Speaker 75W 8 Ohm

>>> switch-out the existing output and pre-amp tubes for a cleaner - tighter - more focused sound.

thanks for your advice.
    Attached Files

The AM radio thing would suggest that there is a bad connection somewhere within the amp. Replacing the speaker won't fix that. You need to connect a different amp to the internal speaker to confirm it is bad.

Edit: Need more info on the AM radio problem. Can you hear the radio when nothing is plugged into the amp? Does the Volume and/or tone controls affect the radio station?
    Last edited by loudthud; 10-03-2016, 02:30 AM.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Those amps are plagued by problems with heat and physical stability. I've corrected for both, but it's not exactly a cinch.

First, the cathode resistor is too low a value and mounted on the circuit board right below the control panel. On a bad day the knobs are almost too hot to handle. I took out the cathode resistor (IIRC it's 60R) and ran wires from the board over to a bare spot on the chassis where I mounted an aluminum cased resistor (IIRC 82R). Heat problem solved. This may also improve the mushy tone you experience.

The board relies on the PCB pots and jacks mounted in the chassis holes for stability. The amp also has board mounted tube sockets and very stiff tube covers. The combination of excessive heat and stress on the board pads causes failures. This is probably where your AM radio signal is coming from. This could also be where the rattle is coming from. Heat on the cheap, plastic shaft and stressed pots could cause a couple of issues that might rattle. I removed all the pots and jacks and replaced them with strictly chassis mounted components and ran lead wire from the board to the lugs. This also requires that you replace the knobs because the original, crappy pots have an odd shaft size. This leaves the board sort of floating where it use to be supported by the pad/component connections. But it's stable enough with the other mounts, however, you cannot use the tube covers anymore because of how much pressure it takes to install them flexing the less supported board.

Check all screw connections while you're at all this just for good measure. If you still have the rattle when all this is done, at least you'll know something about what it's NOT. After that you'll need to hunt down the rattle wherever else it might be.

Other than a thin reverb these amps sound pretty good.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Take the chassis out of the combo cabinet and then drive the speaker hard with the other amp. If it rattles, the rattle is in the cabinet (probably loose screws/washers or a cracked baffle). If it doesn't rattle at all, the source is in the Crate chassis removed from the combo cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
          Take the chassis out of the combo cabinet and then drive the speaker hard with the other amp. If it rattles, the rattle is in the cabinet (probably loose screws/washers or a cracked baffle). If it doesn't rattle at all, the source is in the Crate chassis removed from the combo cabinet.
          I think the OP is long gone. I scared him away with the correct solution that involved effort. He was probably looking for the answer that reads like a Pinterest home ec. solutiuon. "Chew a stick on gum and stick it behind the - speaker terminal "

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

LOL--I liked your answer and had no idea that it could be scary, but then it upon closer look, I think the OP really wanted an excuse to buy a new speaker and tubes, and we did not deliver...

Comment

Well, since we're on the subject of THAT amp... I was actually surprised at how good the speakers sounded. It's definitely designed to work as an effective package. I'm super picky about final eq via the OT, speakers and cabinet and I think I could comfortably play a gig with that amp. Because the model was cheap, troubled and therefor short lived, yet sounded really good it actually has a small cult following. I've picked speakers for designs before, but I've never seen a better example of designing to make a whole set of mediocre components deliver. No one likes those generic Celestions, but they actually sound good in that amp.

Comment

I liked it too (and the V16) and got thiiis close to pulling the trigger on one. Had I known they were prone to the failures you describe, I certainly would not have bought one. I guess fortune smiled upon me back then. I ended up liking a Fender reissue tweed at the same store, which led me to building one of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
                  I liked it too (and the V16) and got thiiis close to pulling the trigger on one. Had I known they were prone to the failures you describe, I certainly would not have bought one. I guess fortune smiled upon me back then. I ended up liking a Fender reissue tweed at the same store, which led me to building one of my own.
                  Heh, I ordered one back then (with the intention of modding it to an AC30 ish amp with a PTP board). Tracked it all the way from Musician's Fiend to a shipping depot just outside of town. Disappeared from there, never to be seen again. Got a refund. Fortune smiled on me too.

Comment

Working...
                  X