Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ive got transformers! What shall i build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive got transformers! What shall i build?

Ive got a 330-0-330 pt out of a amoeg reverbrocket circa 66 and the ot which feed a pair of 6v6s.It uses ss diodes for rectification.I was gonna build a 5e3 deluxe .any other ideas? Thanks

cmon guys 22 views no replies.

Comment

No suggestions. What amp you would like is really up to you. I will say that with a SS rectifier that 330-0-330 PT is going to be wayyy too much voltage for a 5e3. Or any 6v6 amp for that matter.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It worked in an ampeg rr2 circa 1966 w/6v6s.Why wouldnt it work in a fender deluxe.Why buy a kit when ive got parts on hand?

Comment

You sure it had 6V6's and an SS rectifier? All the 6v6-based schematics i can find use a 5Y3 rectifier, and the SS-rectified ones use 7591's or 7868's. To boot, the latter ones indicate a bridge rectifier and PT's with no center tap.

Comment

Plugging the numbers into Duncan PSU2 using a SS full wave rectifier and appropriate loads I get 440Vp to 450Vp. That's too high for 6V6's.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The JJ 6V6s claim to tolerate 500v. I have them running in a 25w 5F6A copy with 423v on the plates.

Comment

Yea, but I'm old school. I know the current model 6V6's (or a similar but different tube marked "6V6") will take it. It's just silly high for that tube though.

Comment

Both my blackface Fender Deluxes are putting out 430+ V on the plates and that's AFTER I plug into a bucking transformer that's bringing the AC down to 115!!!! Fender seems to have been pretty optimistic about the quality of 6V6 tubes, although at the same time they were cheap *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    Yea, but I'm old school. I know the current model 6V6's (or a similar but different tube marked "6V6") will take it. It's just silly high for that tube though.
                    I agree.
                    +1
                    I've heard people say this tube is sort of a 6L6 in a different wrapping.

Comment

Several ways to reduce the B+ for real old 6V6 tubes. If the PT has a center tap, you can use a Zener diode.
                      https://taweber.powweb.com/store/vdump.htm

If there is no center tap on the PT, you could use a bridge rectifier and a copper cap (tube rectifier simulator) in series.
                      Weber Copper Cap Rectifiers

Comment

cmon guys 22 views no replies.
                        You might get 500 views and no replies.
                        It all depends on the question and its possible answers.
                        I'd build a Reverbrocket; preferrably the '66 version.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yeah, why not the Reverbrocket? You could build a sort-of-5e3, but it won't have a classic 5e3 sound. A blackface Deluxe comes close to those specs, IIRC.

I'm into frankenstein builds, take the power amp of one build and combine it with the pre-amp of other amps. I want amps that don't sound like other amps out there, although with tubes that isn't hard to do even if you use the same circuit. I've really liked the flexibility having a two channel amp with a Fender and a Marshall style pre. I've done both on top of Fender and Marshall power amp style circuits. I don't build a lot. I think I've averaged one every 3 years now for the last 12 years. I really dig the creativity needed for found parts. Otherwise, just buy a kit.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X