Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First tube amp build: Fender Deluxe AB763 style amp (no reverb).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A weak "filter cap" can cause instability due to it not performing its decoupling action. However, it may measure OK in terms of value. It needs to be tested for leakage and ESR at operating voltages. Your meter cannot do that.

Remember, all those wonderful old Fender amps we cherish were made with 20% tolerance resistors, and caps with tolerances like - honestly - -20%/+80%.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      A weak "filter cap" can cause instability due to it not performing its decoupling action. However, it may measure OK in terms of value. It needs to be tested for leakage and ESR at operating voltages. Your meter cannot do that.

Remember, all those wonderful old Fender amps we cherish were made with 20% tolerance resistors, and caps with tolerances like - honestly - -20%/+80%.
      Thanks Enzo. yeah, after getting into this stuff just a little bit so far, I wonder how any of those amps worked out of the box. Fender just had 'Wanda' and 'Tony' back there twisting wire and soldering in components between cigarette breaks. No ESR, no $20,000 spectrum analyzers...
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

That is the point, ALL of them worked. The component values just are not that critical. A few might have some issue, and the QC people could generally solve them quickly. They were aware of things like lead dress, so they knew to move grid wires, the assembly people knew where to route them in the first place.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That is the point, ALL of them worked. The component values just are not that critical. A few might have some issue, and the QC people could generally solve them quickly. They were aware of things like lead dress, so they knew to move grid wires, the assembly people knew where to route them in the first place.
          I gotta stop stressing over this stuff. I'll get it all wired up, triple check everything, get my trusty light bulb short indicator device setup, and plug it in!
          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

I gotta stop stressing over this stuff. I'll get it all wired up, triple check everything, get my trusty light bulb short indicator device setup, and plug it in!

Comment

The cabinet from TRM Guitar Cabs arrived Friday. Was on the porch when I got home. Shipping didn't bang up the box. Just have time now to unbox and check the chassis fit. Fingers crossed! I'll post photos later.

Comment

I'm reminded of the 2009 winter NAMM show where I brought two prototype amps, chassis only, and met the cabinet maker there with the cabinets! We had only ever conferenced on the design via email and there I was at the NAMM show finding out if my chassis fit in the cabinets. They did
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Overall, nice cabinet. Very light weight (nice that there's no chip board). Shame to cover it up with tolex, but due to the beatings amps take, will probably go with standard black tolex at some point.

cab is from TRM Guitar cabs, in New Hampshire if anyone is interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0662_v1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	845474

Name:	DSC_0663_v1.jpg
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	845475

Name:	DSC_0664_v1.jpg
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	845476

Name:	DSC_0668_v1.jpg
Size:	550.9 KB
ID:	845477

In the last photo I just have the chassis wedeged in there and propped up for a fit test and photo.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                    Shame to cover it up with tolex, but due to the beatings amps take, will probably go with standard black tolex at some point.
                    Then why not opt for some maple stain & urethane varnish, score a good amp cover from Tuki or StudioSlips or D2R? With all the care you've put into just planning your build, I'm sure you'll be handling that amp like a crate of eggs. And you won't be lending it out to Wreck-it Ralph.

I'm likin' that upper back plate with the ol' fashioned "windows," sure hits my retro button.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Don't listen to Leo Pine doesn't take stain worth a $h!t. But you CAN put on an amber shellac or some Minwax PolyShades tinted polyurethane for a decent look. Follow either with another coat or two of clear polyurethane. If it looks cool you just leave it "woody" for awhile. You can always cover in black Tolex if it doesn't work out or after the wood finish starts to look un restorable.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        Don't listen to Leo Pine doesn't take stain worth a $h!t. But you CAN put on an amber shellac or some Minwax PolyShades tinted polyurethane for a decent look. Follow either with another coat or two of clear polyurethane. If it looks cool you just leave it "woody" for awhile. You can always cover in black Tolex if it doesn't work out or after the wood finish starts to look un restorable.
                        OK, take it from the paint expert ^^^, no problem. In any case, show off your wood and it doesn't hurt to get a quality slip cover to protect it.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Well, knowing how well (or not well, rather) my previous attempts to stain and finish wood came out, Im betting I would have better luck at gluing on stuff, but that takes quite a lot of skill as well. I will not beat the amp, but just moving it from place to place in a car, stuff happens. And this pine is very soft.

Can't wait to get a soldering!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                            ... and it doesn't hurt to get a quality slip cover to protect it.
                            Second that! I have a wood finish combo that I never slip covered and it does get beat up knocking around. In fact I was just thinking about touching it up and spraying a new finish coat on it this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              We've used Sherwin Williams Black Walnut on pine boards for a ceiling looked damn good. Almost gives the pine sort of a burnt look to it, but I' guess you'd have to like it. But also seeing that we're on different ends of the country. Down here we use yellow pine slash or loblolly pine, which is different than the NWPacific pines.

nosaj
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, that's a whole other thing. It's a "look". Also popular is to stain hard woods with black stain and then sand it off to uber accentuate the grain. Since pine tends to take stain more extreme in the soft grain and not much at all in the harder grain it could create a similar effect. Something I've done with pine that makes for a more aged look, darkened knots and honey colored grain, is to treat it with lye and then neutralize it before finishing. A trick I learned from an antiques restoration guy. He would do this to wood used for repairs so it would have a similar aged look. I did it to the paneling in someones man cave/bar to give the place an authentic "old bar" look. Worked a treat. Then he ordered a custom amp from me and had me finish the cabinets the same way.

Comment

Working...
                                X