Help to get rid of hum please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to get rid of hum please.

Hello. Have a box with tens of nos Russian 6n9s, 6sl7 equivalent. I tried to make a simple preamp but get a lot of hum. I didn't identified a loop in the ground. The ac heaters wiring is proper done. In order I tried to shield the tube with a steel cage but no noise difference. Elevating the heaters to 80v makes no difference. Supplied the heaters from DC source makes the hum a continuous highest pitch tone. I.m off ...the circuit is as simple as the sketch show. I tried a new production tung sol 6sl7 and is far more quiet but have same comportment. The tubes I tested are absolutely new and measure well from different lots from '66 to '75. Is clear I did something wrong but I don't get it...Any help please ? Thanks. Click image for larger version  Name:	20230502_001628.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	981710
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Bypass the first cathode.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
      Bypass the first cathode.
      +1. Thanks. It did a bunch of difference. It still hummy but just with volume pot wide open otherwise I may consider the noise in normal level. Still....this was not the ideea. I tested before the circuit with 6n2p which is noval 6n9s equivalent and have no this kind of hum. ...May I consider this tube is not usable in actual configuration ? Otherwise modern Russian tung sol 6sl7 is more quiet by far...
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Post a scope pic of the hum.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Post a scope pic of the hum.
          This is the output of first stage after 10n cap please. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230502_011342.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	981719

Comment

50 cycle hum seems heaters modulation. As I said elevated voltage with ca.80v positive not did any difference. I tied at the end of rail a bridge and an 1000uF over to DC supply the tube heaters and get same amount of hum at high frequency... the picture looks weird...why it modulate only half of cycle...? 50mV of noise is a lot of noise...

Comment

Obviously the fundamental is 50Hz, but looks unusual.

Is this with standard AC heater wiring?
              How does the AC ripple on the supply rail look?
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Obviously the fundamental is 50Hz, but looks unusual.

Is this with standard AC heater wiring?
                How does the AC ripple on the supply rail look?
                I cannot figure any ripple in supply rail. Is very small.
                this is the supply node:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20230502_014651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	981723

And this is v1 plate

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230502_014827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	981724

Standard AC heater wiring .

Comment

I guess you mean the input triode.

What do you see at the plate when you ground the grid?

BTW, I don't see a grid leak resistor.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

All test is with grid grounded. Why grid leak do a difference if the grid is strapped to ground ?

Comment

Directly connect the grid to the grounded end of the cathode resistor using a short wire.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I guess you mean the input triode.

What do you see at the plate when you ground the grid?

BTW, I don't see a grid leak resistor.
                        Yes input triode. The grid is strapped to the ground.

Comment

Directly connect the grid to the grounded end of the cathode resistor using a short wire.
                          Is exactly as You said. I just removed also the wire to input jack...makes no difference as time is strapped to cathode.

Comment

Is the cathode bypass cap large enough, say 100µ+?
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The AC heaters voltage looks fine

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230502_023652.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	981734

Comment

Working...
                              X