Help to get rid of hum please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    Is the cathode bypass cap large enough, say 100µ+?
    There is no cathode Bypass cap on any stage. The circuit sound very nice without it except the noise. I tried also with its tube noval equivalent without this noise issue. (meant 6n2p) . I don't know how Russians used this tube, it is supposed to be an 6sl7 equivalent, which it is...
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Question: may be the split plate resistor 220k + 220k responsible please ?
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
        I'd remove that - I don't see what that is for TBH.

I've built amps without a bypassed first stage. They didn't have that sort of hum but a very, very small amount.

Comment

This is the second triode 220k plate with 2.2k unbypassed cathode. Same thing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230502_025328.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	981740

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
            While the split load doesn't make much sense to me, I don't see how that could cause hum.

I think the tube has a cathode to heater insulation problem.
            You could try pure DC heating.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-02-2023, 12:07 AM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

You could try pure DC heating.
              He said he did and it makes a high pitch tone.

I honestly have never heard of anything like this. I'm not really understanding if he resolved it with a different tube though i.e. the 6SL7

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post

He said he did and it makes a high pitch tone.
                Yes, but was the DC really clean?
                Maybe try a 6V battery.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

....and Voila ! same tube, same plate recordings without hum noise.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230502_032513.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	981749

The heater was elevated at 50V ...negative this time from bias supply, the modulation is gone. !
                  Thanks for support.

Comment

Yes, but was the DC really clean?
                    Maybe try a 6V battery.
                    No Helm it was not quite clean with 1000u had at hand. The high pitch refers to 100 cycle hum I may suppose. But seems negative voltage elevation solved the problem. Just thinking now to optimize the voltage it needs to reference, 50V from my bias supply seems pretty high...

Comment

OK. I put a large potentiometer over the bias supply to not load the source and get a surprise. Not sure if a coincidence or not ( you tube guys may get a conclusion) but the modulation stops suddenly at -2.5 V elevation around meant almost exactly the bias voltage over cathode resistor.
                      This makes me happy, I have a whole box of russian "6sl7" tubes for my projects we know to use.

Comment

Unusual effect.
                        Typically both negative and positive heater bias works.
                        Seems like the cathode coating of these tubes acts like a semiconductor diode which needs to be reverse biased to prevent leakage.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I got a 6.3V tranny and 15000uF cap and want to try to see if DC supply do a difference. As have not experience using dc on heaters supply couple of questions occurs as follow, please:
                          1.using a separate winding only for this stage the reference to ground should be on AC or DC side please ?
                          2.the reference must be compulsory tied to the ground or may be elevated like in AC heaters supply ?
                          3.what is minimum capacitance to use to get DC ripple free for a 300mA filament please ?
                          Thanks

Comment

http://valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

All clear, except the fact I don't understand if it still be necessary to elevate the reference at least -2.5V negative in case of my leaky tubes , even using a DC supply please ? Thanks.

Comment

There are any problems using tube shields with octal tubes please ? I found shielding the input preamp tube cure the noise to absolutely none. But did not found any device to use it. I.m talking about 1W tubes. Any concern about please ? Thanks.
                                Last edited by catalin gramada; 05-03-2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X