Cut circular hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut circular hole?

How do you cut a circular hole in plywood for a speaker?

I think the best way is with a router and make a circle cutting jig (really easy to do with a scrap of some thin plywood or whatever). Use a straight bit, make a few passes around, dropping the bit a little for each pass.

Comment

^^^^^^^^That is certainly the way to get the best and nicest looking results. Not everyone has a router, so if you don't a jigsaw will do the job. If you go that route (no pun intended), I'd recommend making a cardboard template first to test fit.
      Last edited by The Dude; 04-21-2022, 03:27 AM.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I would absolutely have to agree with glebert and The Dude on using a router for your best results using standard shop tools.
        If you don't have a router, a jigsaw is probably your next best option (like The Dude suggests.) I wrote up a thread tutorial on how I was able to get really nice results using a jigsaw and radius jig here:
        https://music-electronics-forum.com/...using-a-jigsaw
        I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but be sure to use a stiff/thick saw blade for this. Regardless of what they recommend for materials on the packaging, if the blade has any flexible play side to side, then it will cause the saw to bevel and push to spiral inward on the cut radius.
        Good Luck!
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

this MilesCraft circle jig has worked well for me:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	milescraft.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	958844
          https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescra...s&locale=en-US

once I cut the smallest round hole I use a rabbiting bit kit to rout insets etc. freehand (the circle jig above is VERY unwieldy!)
          I use a Whiteside 1955 but there are cheaper ones too

I tried making a jig with my Milwaukee jig saw but it wandered like hell, as SF described

Comment

I don't think there's a need for complicated jigs, I would just do one like this, but mine would look like a rectangularish scrap of plywood, because that is what it would be.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	routerjig.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	958859

Comment

I've used both routers and jig saws with a piece of string, or wire tied to a center screw with decent results, (I had terrible luck freehand!) A few years ago I found a DeWalt spiral cut saw on the bay with a circle cutting jig, and the last 2 baffles I cut came out great! It's smaller and more easy to maneuver than a router. I found a pic online, but it's been discontinued!
              https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...=1000&wid=1000

Comment

Working...
              X