Ampeg Portaflex B18 X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Portaflex B18 X

I found a schematic for this amp on the net but i cant gint a layout . Does anyone know where i can find one ? I found the chassis at a storage unit a friend was cleaning out. Its missing the trays but everything else apears to be there. Would this make a good guitar amp even though it was designed for bass guitar ?

keith
    Attached Files
    Last edited by baddog; 11-16-2008, 09:28 PM.

Hi baddog,
    Time ago I restored a 1966 one, I used a schematic I found it on the internet. I'm sorry I can't help you with the layout.

As to the second part of your question I think it to be a great guitar amp as well IMHO. As a matter of fact, when I finished it, the friend who brought it in to have it restored was so delighted with the sound, he used it to record his band's new demo, and he brought me the demo's CD to listen to the sound. ( BTW he used the "accordion" input ).

Good luck with your restoration project!

Best regards

Bob
    Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

their is next to nothing for info on this amp. I think I'm just going to sell the thing because its to big of a project for me. I assume the amp is pretty rare with the lack of info about it.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Hi,
        it's a shame you're going to sell it IMHO, as you said, it's a pretty rare amp, ( and a great one ) and, looking at the pics you posted, it doesn't look all that bad....
        Seems like the tag board and the components are all there, as to the missing transformer you can surely find a suitable replacement ( the output tubes are 7027s but you could switch to EL34s easily enough with only minor mods ).
        As to the tube layout, seems to me the tubes' type was embossed on the chassis, if not, I can take pics of the one I restored, if you need me to.
        It could also be worth to contact Ampeg, time ago I had a problem on another Ampeg amp and their answer was kind, effective and lightning-fast....

Think it thoroughly before selling it.....you could regret it!
        Best regards
        Bob

Comment

The B-18X is a cool amp, I have one myself. Mid 1960s.

It was intended for keyboards, guitar or bass.

The tube order is on the schematic. I don;t recall ever seeing layouts for hte AMpegs.
          Attached Files
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi baddog,
            try this link,

http://www.triodeel.com/7027.htm

you' ll find a lot of useful info, including how to convert your amp to use EL34s.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the B18-X I restored soon....

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob

Comment

Thanks

I look forward to seemg the pics.

ThanksBD

Comment

Working...
              X