Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
    One man's trash...

I'd rather spend the money and do things correctly. Call me a purist, or a spendthrift, but I go with MM iron, Sprague Electrolytics (If only Solen would make a 16uf 500V cap, I'd never use another electrolytic), Mallory 150s and so forth. I confess, the only NOS tubes I use are the AY7 and the rectifier (I'm a big fan of JJ 6V6s and ECC803s for V2). But I like CC resistors in the signal section.

Thanks for the reply.
    Well, I'm not saying I think the Chinese built amp is a treasure nor is it anyone's trash as you are implying.
    I'd be one of the last to defend anyone's marriage with Chinese industry and China's unfair trade practices.
    But we also have ourselves to blame for that.

Also, "do things correctly" is an opinion... over the many years of helping novice builders, I've heard some homebrew, "cobbed together with junk parts" amps that absolutely ripped.
    My take on it has always been what sounds good... is good.

"Purist?"
    I've used TONS (well that's a stretch) of MM iron.
    They are very good and their OTs sound good but, I think they're over priced for what you get... and they are not built like any vintage trannys... unless you can find vintage tweed trannys with nylon bobbins, plastic paper and machine wound like modern stuff is. ha ha

You can use all my allotment of Sprague filter caps.
    IMHO, Sprague filter caps are way over priced and very close to a complete waste of money anymore.
    As a matter of fact over the last couple years I've had too many of them get hot and or go bad in a month or two of use and they never used to do that. Same thing with those junk CE Dist/Antique Electronic Supply multi cap cans.
    Regardless the F&T 500v caps are my first choice now, but even the import TAD 500v caps are excellent.

I use M150s in most of my work... very nice caps.

I hear no difference between CC resistors and carbon film in most all amps. I think that is 99% bunk, especially in simple amps like 50's guitar amps.
    I'd defy anyone here in and A B test to tell me which amp has carbon film or carbon comp resistors.

I can't argue the NOS 12AY7 and 5Y3GT comment... that is the right choice for me too.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
      No Problem. I didnt take it that way.

There are some very good kits available elsewhere. (Mission, Allen etc.)
      I did one kit (a CHamp) and after that, I just took a wiring diagram and made a BOM for the 5F4 I built. I looked at Weber's BOM but it really didn't jibe with mine so I just used mine. I just made one for a 5E3. I sourced the parts myself from Hoffman and JMI. What sucks is the tweed-style fuse holders (the NOS ones) are all but gone now. All my amps have them and I don't expect I'll be building any more for myself, but it sucks that no one makes 'em like the old ones. A minor point to be sure, but I like the old-style fuse holders.

I like this forum, glad I found it. I gotta stay out of the politics section, though. I get cranky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
        You can use all my allotment of Sprague filter caps.
        You know, I think you've got a point. THe TAD caps appear to be pretty good and your endorsement helps.

I use M150s in most of my work... very nice caps.
        I was talking to Skip Simmons who said the same thing.

I hear no difference between CC resistors and carbon film in most all amps. I think that is 99% bunk, especially in simple amps like 50's guitar amps.
        I'd defy anyone here in and A B test to tell me which amp has carbon film or carbon comp resistors.
        Well, I tell ya what, I'll give 'em a try. The one thing that's a pain is it seems like the only place I can find ALL the board components is Hoffman, and he doesn't stock carbon film. Kits are fine but I don't need anyone to put the parts together.

I can't argue the NOS 12AY7 and 5Y3GT comment... that is the right choice for me too.
        Hell, Bruce, I don't think anyone would argue that. But I do see your point about carbon film resistors, and they're 10 cents each instead of 30. Adds up.

Comment

You may have seen this of a Sprague Atom cut open. I guess there no longer the same cap as years ago. (This may have been orginally posted on the Hoffman board)
          Attached Files
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
            why not 15 or 18uf at 630v?

Solen Electronique Inc.
            Solen Electronique Inc.

I just bought a bag of 10 x 22uf/630v Solens for <$4 each

a bit big for cathode bypass but what the hell
            How do those work as replacements for the power-supply filter caps...tone-wise and size-wise?

Comment

Regardless the F&T 500v caps are my first choice now, but even the import TAD 500v caps are excellent.
              The few TAD elcos I've got are F&T OEM's. Excellent caps, decent price.

The CC are noisier and can thus usually be detected in a double blind test.

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
                The few TAD elcos I've got are F&T OEM's. Excellent caps, decent price.

The CC are noisier and can thus usually be detected in a double blind test.
                I've heard that about the TAD vs F&T caps but I'm not 100% sure.
                You could be right about the resistor A B test but out here in the arid plains of Denver Colorado, the average humidity is very dry, dry like 10%-30% and dry CC resistors must not seem to make much noise... especially newly manufactured ones.
                I still have about 60,000 to 70,000, really old late 50's early 60's, 1/2w, 1w and 2w Allen Bradly resistors in stock but use them mostly for vintage refurbs when needed.
                Regardless... I still like using 1 watt carbon film resistors better.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Ya know Bruce, you've convinced me. Next build, carbon film. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
                    How do those work as replacements for the power-supply filter caps...tone-wise and size-wise?
                    size wise they are big 1.5" x 2.25" and tone wise I will let you know; the Carr Vincent uses $$ PP film filter caps, only about ~60uF total though.. some like it
                    Carr Amplifiers Vincent 1x12: Harmony Central User Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
                      Ya know Bruce, you've convinced me. Next build, carbon film. I'll give it a try.
                      Bruce is right on. CC's are noisy and filled with "mojo". CF's are just fine, and metal films are just fine for the B+.

Comment

Working...
                      X