New 5e3 build, faint sound..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ 01bcat-

I just finished my first amp build which is also a Triode kit. I choose Triode because I live nearby and also because the layout was very similar to the original. Customer service has been great, but nothing like the presence I have seen from Bruce on this forum. I am also having trouble with my amp, as I initially had my output tubes (12AX7 & 12AY7) wired exactly opposite (wires to pin 1 were to pin 9 and so forth). I have since fixed that problem, but now it is cutting out when I give a lot of bass input. I also feel like that I have learned more because of my failures. I defiantly plan on building another amp as soon as possible (thinking 5F1 Champ) but shipping is what kills you when ordering from multiple suppliers. I did stumble upon Tubesandmore.com which offers free shipping on orders of $100 or more, which I have not seen anywhere else (especially for heavy items like the speaker). I just put all the build parts minus the speaker, chassis, and cab in my shopping cart for just under $200. I'm torn however on whether to spend the extra money on a chromed out chassis or to make one myself and use a faceplate.
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

I initially had my output tubes (12AX7 & 12AY7) wired exactly opposite (wires to pin 1 were to pin 9 and so forth).

What kit did you build? A 5e3? They would have 2 6v6's as power tubes ( I am sure you meant pre-amp and PI). There are other folks on this forum who can help here, but the amp cutting out with the pots wired right could be a parasitic oscellation. The bass response with the p12q speaker can be a little flubby though.
      PM me if you want, do you have any pic's ofthe build?
      Also I picked up my kit at triode, saves a little $$$

Comment

Originally posted by 01bcat View Post
        Thanks for everyone's help, great board.
        I found a bad capacitor.
        It sounds incredible!
        Now for that 18 watt...
        Which capacitor was it? The suspense is killing me.

I have just built a Deluxe, and it's having problems identical to yours..

Comment

Originally posted by EllArr View Post
          Which capacitor was it? The suspense is killing me.

I have just built a Deluxe, and it's having problems identical to yours..
          I think it was a mallory coupling cap. It was a while ago... Also check the board - make sure your resistors are connected in the right places..
          Good luck on the build.

Comment

Originally posted by vjf View Post
            For those of you lurking here in preparation for a 5E3 build...buy your kit from Bruce! I can't think of any reason not to.

His parts are top quality, his technical support and customer service is exceptional.

I know this because I bought his kit. It was my first build and it worked the first time I flipped the switch.
            Ditto - have built 3 of these - two from Bruce - and his advice and support was tremendous. There will always be a few stupid little errors when you are building, he will help figure it all out.

Comment

I have built at least 150 to 160 tweed amps over the last few years... I still make bone headed mistakes... and I still like it.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

I have built at least 150 to 160 tweed amps over the last few years... I still make bone headed mistakes... and I still like it.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                X