pregain gain/master volume for 5e3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregain gain/master volume for 5e3

I realize it's sacrilegious to discuss the option of a master volume on a 5e3 clone but can it be done? I've got a new clone coming but I'm a preamp gain kinda guy. I like being able to control the output volume and preamp volume.

My current setup is a gibson ga-20 - demeter compressor - hiwatt slave power amp. This serves me pretty well but I'd like to consider something a little more portable.

Has anyone ever done this and if so can it be done non-destructively.

Thanks

Jon

5e3

Because the preamp has much headroom in the 5e3, simply adding an attenuator between the pre and amplifier sections won't work the same way as a preamp that wants to or normally distorts and is easily pushed to do so.
    So, that said, the answer certainly isn't a clear cut 'no', but it's been tried and the results were...yes it changes the sound a little bit or...no it didn't produce distortion like I thought it would.

Comment

I agree.
      The preamp in the 5E3 produces enough gain to drive the power tubes into distortion. When adding a master volume you certainly won't get any distortion like in a master volume marshall, for instance.
      The result would be the same sound as how the amp sounds BEFORE power tube distortion only less loud.

Hope this helps

Matt

Comment

Working...
      X