Kit Build Preflight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Build Preflight

My 5e3 kit will probably be arriving in the next week or so.

I read a few posts where people have received bad parts and or manufacturing defects with some kits and waste time troubleshooting after the kit was built to find the problem.

I am a believer in doing some prep checking upfront to to try to minimize problems on the back end.

Aside from taking an inventory of the parts and comparing to the schematic and bill of materials... what else should I check before starting to assemble?

I read an article about doing some checks of the transformer before the wires are soldered.

Any advice on this topic or pointers to articles that describe a build "preflight" would be much appreciated.
    I am learning. My posts should not be considered as expert advice or suggestions for you to implement... on the contrary, I am looking for expert advice!

I would of course examine the parts. Maybe measure each resistor before you solder it in. Unless you have a cap tester, or actually want to test the xformers prebuild (I wouldn't) then that should be it.

My little bit of experience has taught me that when assembling the circuit you need to check, recheck, recheck, recheck ad nauseum against the schematic / layout. Then before you power up, check again. Walk away, and check again before you power up.

Also, read this: Paul Ruby Amplifiers

So most of the sanity checks should occur after its built, or after you finish working on it each day, and before it gets powered up. The initial startup process tests the transformers. Oh, I'd read that before you start soldering in the xformers.

I have rather limited experience, but three of my four builds have just worked upon power-up, with maybe minor issues that were relatively easy to fix. That fourth one, though, argh!
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Sometimes for a few extra bucks, you can get more 'exotic' bits, like old-school fender bayonet pilot light mounts/holders, or mustard caps or silver mica caps, or carbon comp resistors, which you may prefer, or better quality sockets/jacks/switches.

Of course transformers, speakers and tubes are at the more expensive end of part subbing, but can have the most impact on tone.

However the only real thing I'd be wary of (now having bought a US kit with a PT for EU voltages that is potentially flawed), is that if you live in a place where you have 220-240V @ 50Hz mains supply, then make sure the PT you get with the kit is beefy enough to take the increased mains power. Some suppliers don't understand the impact of the 50Hz cycle on PTs, and their products don't have enough iron to handle the power, and invariably overheat and burn out after an initial 'run-in' period. I don't know how common this is still, but I just got one such PT in a kit last month, so some people are still evidently doin' it wrong. However this shouldn't be a problem if you're in the USA or other places where they have 110-120V @ 60Hz mains.
      Last edited by tubeswell; 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks for the comments. You help is appreciated!
        I am learning. My posts should not be considered as expert advice or suggestions for you to implement... on the contrary, I am looking for expert advice!

Comment

Working...
        X