Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the POS I just bought

Hi,

I was poking around EvilBAY looking for kits and parts, and low and bohold I stumbled across this thing already put together (poorly) and I figured I could just gut it for parts.

I'm thinkin' "I wonder if it actually works?"

Surprise!! it sounds great! Better than any cheap SS amp I've had.
    What (besides throwing it a trash can) would you guys suggest (if anything) to "improve" it? I can read schematics, understand electronic theory, and have made a living as a component level tech, but I have zero experience with tube amps. It appears to be a 5F1 variant. the good things I see are a couple of "orange drops", Hammond trasformers (oooh DC CT!!), and twisted AC lines. The bad begins with the cheap aluminum chassis, perf-board, and cheap-ass chinese 12AX7.

I'm all ears guys.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mtnbikerfred; 07-11-2006, 04:53 PM.

Hell, that's a work of art compared to some of my projects.
    Stop by my web page!

Comment

If it sounds good, leave it alone. The parts you could salvage don't cost very much new anyway, so by gutting the amp you would hardly save anything but lose a good sounding amp.

If you're planning to build a tube amp from scratch, you could get those same sockets, new, for very cheap. And those transformers won't be good for much but another champ-type clone, or maybe a reverb unit.

Shea

Comment

Might try different tubes. A different 12x7 might change the tone for the better.
        Clyde

Comment

Working...
        X