Purpose of resistors across HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of resistors across HT

Can someone explain the function of this resistor? It’s actually two in parallel, measured value 150k. They’re directly across the HT supply immediately after the rectifiers.

To drain the filter caps when the unit is turned off?

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
      To drain the filter caps when the unit is turned off?
      Correct.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Thanks. Why isn’t that done more often? I don’t remember seeing it in any other amps.

Comment

Penny pinching for commercial amps. The resistor needs to be rated for the B+ level, which often requires a 2W resistor. DIY should imho always include a bleed. Some designs have bleeds in place, for example with balancing resistors across series capacitors, and with heater elevation resistors.

Comment

To help global warming. I myself, never use them, as i see them as creating unnecessary heat and a few more milliamps current draw from the power transformer. But i also use a #47 lamp where possible or LED. From a safety standpoint and to help others from getting shocked, use them.

Comment

Would it be effective to put them at the END of the filter cap chain? I believe it may take longer to drain the caps but I don't immediately prod my amp 2 seconds after shutting it off, either.

Jusrin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

To help global warming. I myself, never use them, as i see them as creating unnecessary heat and a few more milliamps current draw from the power transformer.
                Wow, I assume you also bias your tubes very cold?
                I mean the bleeder resistors might increase idle power consumption by something like 3%.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

No, i only use NOS tubes and bias them beyond specs. I'm just joking, as seeing many times power resistors used to give off heat. Where is that schematic where they use a 30w resistor to ground to drop voltage? If people weren't so stupid i would say never use them, but these days you have to protect the idiots. I would actually have the caps hold a charge, it's easier on the power transformer next startup.

Comment

Where is that schematic where they use a 30w resistor to ground to drop voltage?
                    Fender "The Twin" supply node? That one is only 10W though.

Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

These? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240629-181744.png
Views:	70
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1001109 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240629-181847.png
Views:	63
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1001110 That's a "Concert II" & a Fender 75... I think it was Matchless who used a 30W. I just asked about this a few months ago, go figure.
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Fender Super 60 has a 10W resistor there. Dissipates less than 6W at rated voltage. Post #2 of this thread (below) shows it. I was thinking it was a 30W resistor, but I remembered incorrectly. it's 30 kilOhms and 10 Watts.
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                          Would it be effective to put them at the END of the filter cap chain? I believe it may take longer to drain the caps but I don't immediately prod my amp 2 seconds after shutting it off, either.

Jusrin
                          Well now HERE is a good point of discussion. The bleeder resistors are usually placed on the first filter and behind the standby switch. If they were placed in the preamp and the standby switch were left open then the main filter wouldn't discharge. So...

Same scenario but what discharges everything but the main filter cap/s if the standby switch is left open? Would best practice mean putting a bleed on both sides of the standby switch? Thin as it applies to standby arrangements that break the HV rail.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I don't build with Standby switches so it never crosses my mind. I sure do love me some tube rectumfriers, cuz I've got about 100 of them. Not being able to switch off any "background noise" also encourages me to build as quiet as possible & learn how stuff works.

When I'm working on my Fenders, I leave the tubes in & Standby "off" (in "Play" mode) out of habit, learned from some gurus who advised that to discharge the caps. I read it in some books somewhere ... But then when I'm working in the amp I always use a jumper or occasionally tack in a resistor to ground if I'll be working on the amp over a few days.

More seriously... Maybe I can mess about in my next build, whenever that is. Whatever best practice may be, though, REAL best practice is to be proactive - discharge the lil zappers manually & making sure they stay that way instead of trusting your life to a $0.15 part or two. [Small Wisdom Nugget taken from Juan]

Edit: if at the end of the filter chain at the preamp side, wouldn't I NOT need a 20W block?

Jusrin
                            Last edited by Justin Thomas; Yesterday, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I have a hypothesis that it may be better for the cap life, especially with gear that might not get used often, to allow them to retain some level of residual charge, rather than forcing a drain down to 0. As it may help to keep them 'formed'.
                              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                              X