DeVille no Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeVille no Reverb

I am sure that it is the opamp that is causing my reverb not to work. The problem is when I go to Mouser.com and I look up a TL072 or a 4558 opamp, there are so many different choices. How do you know which 4558 to get????

A 4558 op amp is just a dual 741. An op amp is an op amp. You will see LM4558, JC4558, etc. It just depends on who made them and when. NEC, Texas Instruments, whatever. If you have some old junk stereo chassis (or anything for audio from the same era really) laying around there will probably be a bunch of them in it to scavange.

Comment

And a TLO72 will work fine in place of a 4558
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Don't overlook the reverb pan itself. The newer ones have a high failure rate. Remove it and check the drive/pickup coils with a meter. If those check out, then proceed to the op amps.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

If you are getting a 4558, then I would select the lowest cost one. Like olddawg says, the first letters merely identify the manufaturer. And the letters after usually describe the package - size, shape, material. You want one in a DIP package, not the SOIC or other surface mount shapes.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you so much guys. Great Info!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
              Don't overlook the reverb pan itself. The newer ones have a high failure rate. Remove it and check the drive/pickup coils with a meter. If those check out, then proceed to the op amps.
              +1 on this advice, I recently replaced the pan on a Carvin Vintage16. The send coil measured open and the connection was fine, right down to the coil itself.

Comment

Working...
              X