subtle fuzz from solid state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subtle fuzz from solid state

I'm looking for some advice on getting rid of some excess noise.

The amp:
    I'm having a bit of fun with an old solid state 60 watt general purpose type amp. It has a single ic in the preamp followed by a handful of discrete transistors in what I would think to be the "phase inversion" section of a tube amp followed by two tanky transistors which make up the power amp. If memory serves me correctly the ic runs at about 27 volts.

The problem:
    When playing notes there is this subtle fuzz in the background. It is a noise similar to a snare buzz. It gets louder and quieter as you adjust the master volume accordingly, so its most likely in the preamp section. But as you play louder//softer the noise stays at a constant volume, until the note is very quite, then the noise is non-existent. The noise gets higher if the note your playing is higher and visa versa. The sound comes through with different different guitars//bases.

Im just looking for a push in the right direction, could it be something as simple as a noisy capacitor or resistor, or should I introduce more power supply filtering, or is the noise inherent in the layout or ic itself?

cheers.

I would first look for parasitic oscillation by putting an o'scope on the output. Sometimes an amp has RF fuzzies on the signal over a certain signal level.

Next I'd check the Class AB bias of the power amp stage. That could produce the same symptoms too.

There's a myriad of other possibilities, but I'd start there.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Try it through a different speaker. A damaged or rubbing voice coil etc can add fuzz to a clean tone.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
        Try it through a different speaker. A damaged or rubbing voice coil etc can add fuzz to a clean tone.
        Oh, yeah. There's that. I spent a day once chasing "crossover" distortion that turned out to be a rubbing speaker.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

That was my first thought, the classic description of a light voice coil rub in the speaker. COnnect the amp to a different speaker and see.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X