Tone stack ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone stack ?

I know before I ask this that it may be considered a stupid question ,but I'm asking anyway .. What part of an amp circuit is considered the tone stack ? Is it the caps on the tone controls ?

Thanks all !

Originally posted by gtrplayr1976 View Post
    I know before I ask this that it may be considered a stupid question ,but I'm asking anyway .. What part of an amp circuit is considered the tone stack ? Is it the caps on the tone controls ?

Thanks all !
    The tone controls control the frequency response of the tone stack, so yes, they're a part of it. Tone stacks can be very simple or very complex, even including an equalizer, etc, but for most Fender amps it's made up of less than 10 components.
    Valvulados

Comment

Here's the world's most famous tone stack for guitar amps:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tonestack.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	820655
      Valvulados

Comment

Guess I should have mentioned this is a Crate BV 50H . Thanks for the info.

Comment

So if I wanted to add , or change the tone use bass as an example. What would I change to get more /less bass ?

Comment

This is part of the schematic with tone pots.
            Attached Files

Comment

On sectors G5 and B6 are two tone stacks I could find there....maybe there are more(or is it just 2 channels?), not familiar with that Crate.
              Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                On sectors G5 and B6 are two tone stacks I could find there....maybe there are more(or is it just 2 channels?), not familiar with that Crate.
                It's just the two channels. I have read that these can be modded to sound like a plexi , but they never really gave details. I thought I may just tweak the tone some.

Comment

It's just the two channels. I have read that these can be modded to sound like a plexi , but they never really gave details. I thought I may just tweak the tone some.
                  As far as I know, the Plexis use the Bassman tone stack above(or something very similar). I just had a look at a later Plexi and it's basically the same as the 5F6-A, having increased the treble cap to 470p and reduced the slope resistor to 33K.

See:Click image for larger version

Name:	plexi1987superlead.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	820658
                  Valvulados

Comment

As far as I know, the Plexis use the Bassman tone stack above(or something very similar). I just had a look at a later Plexi and it's basically the same as the 5F6-A, having increased the treble cap to 470p and reduced the slope resistor to 33K.

See:[ATTACH=CONFIG]13686[/ATTACH]
                    So it's a matter of changing resistor, and capacitor values ?

Comment

So it's a matter of changing resistor, and capacitor values ?
                      As far as the tone stack goes, with a few modifications it seems like you'd get a very similar circuit. I don't have experience with that particular amp though, so I can't say for sure that it'd sound more like a Plexi.
                      Valvulados

Comment

As far as the tone stack goes, with a few modifications it seems like you'd get a very similar circuit. I don't have experience with that particular amp though, so I can't say for sure that it'd sound more like a Plexi.
                        I'm guessing if I just put better quality caps it should help. Which way do you go in value to increase a particular frequency ?

Comment

I'm guessing if I just put better quality caps it should help. Which way do you go in value to increase a particular frequency ?
                          Check out this software: TSC

For a quick rundown on the most famous stacks, see this: Adam's Amplifiers: Tone Stacks (If on a hurry, skip to "Three Knob")
                          Valvulados

Comment

Check out this software: TSC

For a quick rundown on the most famous stacks, see this: Adam's Amplifiers: Tone Stacks (If on a hurry, skip to "Three Knob")
                            That's funny..I just downloaded that software a few minutes ago. Thanks much for the help ,and information. I'll play around with this some ,and see how it turns out.

Comment

That's funny..I just downloaded that software a few minutes ago. Thanks much for the help ,and information. I'll play around with this some ,and see how it turns out.
                              Cool coincidence. That nifty little program is very useful to me, I hope it helps you mod that amp to your liking. Good luck.
                              Valvulados

Comment

Working...
                              X