Tone stack ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
    Cool coincidence. That nifty little program is very useful to me, I hope it helps you mod that amp to your liking. Good luck.
    Thanks. This is my first attempt without specific instructions on what to change ...I love playin with this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by gtrplayr1976 View Post
      Thanks. This is my first attempt without specific instructions on what to change ...I love playin with this stuff
      Cool. You know all the safety stuff right? Don't get near it while plugged in, discharge the caps, etc.... Don't wanna sound pedantic, just making sure
      Good luck!
      Valvulados

Comment

Cool. You know all the safety stuff right? Don't get near it while plugged in, discharge the caps, etc.... Don't wanna sound pedantic, just making sure
        Good luck!
        LOL...oh yes I am aware of the dangers. I have done some repairs ,and mods with instruction mostly . It's just the first time I've attemped to change something without knowing what the results will be. I don't want to destroy the amp...just improve it

Comment

LOL...oh yes I am aware of the dangers. I have done some repairs ,and mods with instruction mostly . It's just the first time I've attemped to change something without knowing what the results will be. I don't want to destroy the amp...just improve it
          Nice. I'd just change the tone stack components values first(without doing anything to the circuit at first), changing one for another, just to see where it goes and get familiar with what changing those does for your sound. Using the TSC you can pretty much estimate the results so you don't go blindly, but the ear test will be the ultimate judge.
          Valvulados

Comment

Nice. I'd just change the tone stack components values first(without doing anything to the circuit at first), changing one for another, just to see where it goes and get familiar with what changing those does for your sound. Using the TSC you can pretty much estimate the results so you don't go blindly, but the ear test will be the ultimate judge.
            That's my intentions. Just the simple things first. I want to play around with the TSC to actually see how it works ,and go from there.

Comment

OK..so I got the Crate together after changing filter caps ,and some tone stack components. Tubes in ,power on, I'm getting a very loud hum. So...when it cools I'll take a look at my work. Note: I had to alter the filter cap placement because they were taller , so they are laying over as opposed to standing. I changed a couple of resistor values ,and wattage in the tone circuit ,as well as cap value.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gtrplayr1976; 04-27-2011, 01:59 AM. Reason: Add photo

Comment

OK..so I got the Crate together after changing filter caps ,and some tone stack components. Tubes in ,power on, I'm getting a very loud hum. So...when it cools I'll take a look at my work. Note: I had to alter the filter cap placement because they were taller , so they are laying over as opposed to standing. I changed a couple of resistor values ,and wattage in the tone circuit ,as well as cap value.
                If you make smaller changes and rework/test in smaller cycles, you're able to better isolate the problem, if there remains a problem. Change the power supply first, test, ok, then proceed. Change one thing at the tone stack, listen to it, sound ok? No? Change some more, etc... That way you know what each change is doing and for example, whether that hum came from the PS change or the tone stack....

Everyone has their own way of hacking the amps of course, it's just a suggestion that's helped me be more productive.
                Valvulados

Comment

If you make smaller changes and rework/test in smaller cycles, you're able to better isolate the problem, if there remains a problem. Change the power supply first, test, ok, then proceed. Change one thing at the tone stack, listen to it, sound ok? No? Change some more, etc... That way you know what each change is doing and for example, whether that hum came from the PS change or the tone stack....

Everyone has their own way of hacking the amps of course, it's just a suggestion that's helped me be more productive.
                  Oh I can't do that. That's way too easy. I've usually not had an issue with cap changes , but that means nothing. I should have been a little more aware of the cap sizes I ordered, but...you're right I need to do one part at a time. Live ,and learn.

Comment

OK..I just made another check which I should have done before. The clean channel is the one with the noise , the other is quiet as a church mouse. I'll try swapping preamp tubes first...at least that's the simplest thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X