Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CA3059 equivalent (from Trace electroluminescent panel HT AC supply limiter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA3059 equivalent (from Trace electroluminescent panel HT AC supply limiter)

Hi all. Some of the older Traces - after the UV tube era though - have an electroluminescent front panel which runs on a HT supply limited to 7mA. The current is limited on a separate little board. A triac in the supply line is controlled by the CA3059, which is described as a zero-voltage switch - it's in a 14-pin DIL package. Datasheet attached. It is obsolete. Can anyone help me with an equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

CA3059 datasheet.pdf

...here's the schematic, which includes the current limiter board.

trace-elliot-GP7-300w-7-band.pdf

Comment

Don't stone me for this, but if I had it on my bench I would find the value (and power) of a plain old power resistor, as needed as to limit current to the UV tube to 7mA and call it a day.
      Don't know what the tube is, (hint hint) but don't think I would "waste" more than a couple watts, hopefully less than 10W.
      OK, Greenpeace, sue me !!!
      PS: I see no inductive elements there (although they might live in the tube casing , unseen here), I guess the starting voltage is less than the peak value of 115V and it easily turns on on its own.
      Search for the UV tube datasheet.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

CA3059 - ABRA Electronics Inc.

ON Semiconductor Zero Voltage Switch IC CA3059 | eBay
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Don't stone me for this, but if I had it on my bench I would find the value (and power) of a plain old power resistor, as needed as to limit current to the UV tube to 7mA and call it a day.
          Don't know what the tube is, (hint hint) but don't think I would "waste" more than a couple watts, hopefully less than 10W.
          OK, Greenpeace, sue me !!!
          PS: I see no inductive elements there (although they might live in the tube casing , unseen here), I guess the starting voltage is less than the peak value of 115V and it easily turns on on its own.
          Search for the UV tube datasheet.
          Yeah... it already has a 220R power resistor doing that, so the triac malarkey is just belt and braces. I think I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks but I was being stingy. Also I am in the UK where they cost even more from obsolete component stockists.

Comment

Oh it's not a UV tube by the way, it's an electroluminescent panel. So I guess there's a safety issue even though the panel is behind an insulator.

Comment

Then I guess a string of, say, 10 white LEDs in series plus the approppriate power resistor, fed from one of the power rails, will be both safer and cheaper.
                You are giving me ideas.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X