Traynor YGM3 very low volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YGM3 very low volume

I have gotten the Traynor YGM3 amp with 3 inputs. I get very very low output nomatter where the volume setting is. All tubes are new and are lit. I have checked voltages and they are there except they are higher than what the schematic specifies. I checked all the caps and three or four (three musturd color) when tested, the cap meter tries to read the capacitance and at the end it displays "fuse". According to the cap meter manual, this would indicate that the cap meter fuse needs replacement but the fuse is ok. The subject caps are associated with tubes V2 and v6. I am thinking of replacing all the caps, do you think it is necessary to replace them all or just some specific ones. If some specific ones, could you suggest which ones are most likely the culprit. if you have any other recommendation I would appreciated.

The link to the service manual showing schematic and wiring diagram is below
    http://traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/smygm3.pdf

Thanks for your help
    Geofo

Can we assume you have checked that the speaker and cable/connectors are ok?
    When you are testing the capacitors do you have them removed from the circuit (at least at one end) ?
    "Voltages are all higher" doesn't tell that much, 10 or 20 % is probably ok but maybe you mean 50%, it's hard to tell.
    V5 & V6 shouldn't matter for now, how about listing voltages for all the pins shown on the schematic for V1, V2, V3, & V4.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
      Can we assume you have checked that the speaker and cable/connectors are ok?
      When you are testing the capacitors do you have them removed from the circuit (at least at one end) ?
      "Voltages are all higher" doesn't tell that much, 10 or 20 % is probably ok but maybe you mean 50%, it's hard to tell.
      V5 & V6 shouldn't matter for now, how about listing voltages for all the pins shown on the schematic for V1, V2, V3, & V4.
      g-one,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have checked the speakers and cable. The speakers read 6 ohms. There are four speakers 6 ohms each (disconnected the speakers and measured each one). The two are connected in parallel and the other two connected in parallel so each parallel combo gives 3 ohms and the output of the amp is connected to each parallel combo. The amp sees 6 ohms load.

The caps I measured in-circuit, I didn't disconnect them.

The tube voltages are as follows: Numbers in parentheses are the schematic call out voltage

V1: Pin1 137v (112), pin2 0v, pin3 1.14v, pin4&5 3.2vAC, pin6 1165v (140), pin7 0v, pin8 1.35v, pin9 3.2vAC
      V2: Pin1 200v (184), pin2 27v, pin3&8 33v (26.5), pin4&5 3.2vAC, pin6 208v (184), pin7 26.7v, pin9 3.2vAC
      V3: Pin2 57v, pin4&5 3.3vAC, pin7 450v, pin9 449v
      V4: Pin2 61v, pin4&5 3.3vAC, pin7 450v, pin9 449v
      V5: Pin1&6 386v (330), pin2&7 0v, pin3&8 2.7v, pin4&5 3.2vAC, pin9 3.2vAC
      V6: Pin1 288v (255) with SPEED dial at max. If SPEED dial is at less than 5 Iget a blinking meter with no reading, pin2 could not get a reading, meter was blinking, pin3 0.5v, pin6 92v (78), pin7 0v, pin 8 0.8v, pin9 3.2vAC

I hope this can shed some light and come up with some recommendation.
      Question: Even though the tubes are lit and feel warm could they still be bad? Should I have them checked somewhere?

Thank you again

Comment

The voltages you have listed in parentheses are not what is shown on the reissue schematic you linked to, is this the schematic you are using? traynor_guitarmate_ygm3a.pdf
        Turn the tremolo speed and intensity all the way down when doing your voltage measurements. What is the voltage on V3&4 pin 2 ? It should be a negative voltage, around -15 to -20 volts.
        Testing tubes is not all that reliable. It is better to swap in known good tubes to see if that helps. But most of your voltages look pretty good. Try wiggling all the tubes around in their sockets in case you have a bad connection.
        You said the volume control didn't make a difference, is the volume control working or not?
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The voltage on pin 2 of v3 and v4 is 57 and 61 volts. I don't see where the -20 or -25 volts will come from. Pin2 connects to a 1500 ohm resistor and then to a 0.1uf cap to pin6 of v2. Pin6 of v2 has 208 v (schematic says 184v).
          The schematic I am reading from is the one that was under the amp's cover I didn't know until I opened it the schematic I had attached to my initial email is from the user's manual that I downloaded from Traynor's website
          I disconnected the caps that I couldn't get a reading while connected and they check fine but incircuit I cannot get a reading. I'm wondering whether I should have the tubes checked but I can't find a place to go to. Running out of ideas. The volume control is ok. I removed it and checked it off circuit. It tests 1 Mohm
          Any other suggestions???

I thought it may the output transformer feeding the speakers. With the transformer positive wire disconnected I read about 1 ohm on the secondary. On the primary I have about 450v at each tube output. So I am wondering if the 1 ohm is the correct reading for the secondary. Do you know what the resistance of the secondary should read?? The transformer is HAMMOND A1339. There is another number on the bottom 98695, this may be the date code I am not sure.

Thanks
          Last edited by geofo; 02-21-2013, 11:56 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

The negative voltage comes in at the junction of R21 and R22. One path is through R36 and the other path is through the intensity pot. The voltage you are showing at pin 2 of V3 & V4 are the only ones that seem way out of whack. But to get a proper reading you must have the tremolo controls turned down.
            The negative voltage is the bias voltage and if it is way off it could cause low output. The high plate voltage (pin7 450V) leads me to believe this may be the case.
            Caps can not be measured in circuit, the meter will give strange readings. The OT secondary will measure low resistance like your 1 ohm reading.
            You did not answer whether the volume control is actually adjusting the level or not.

Comment

Thanks again. Ok the voltages I mentioned at pin 2 of the output tubes were taken with the tremolo controls both turned down to zero. So if I am supposed to get negative voltage and I am not what is the problem. Are you sure that the 1 ohm reading on the secondary output xfmr is correct.
              Anyway the caps check ok disconnected, the resistors are the right value so would cause the voltage discrepancy on pins 2. Maybe you are on something but what
              Thanks

Comment

G-one
                I checked the voltage again on pins 2 and they were 57 and 61 volts. Then I removed the two output tubes and measured the voltages again and I got the negative voltages. I read -19volts on both. So I guess does this indicate that both the output tubes are bad? Or could it be something else. I have order two new tubes anyway (matched pair) should I look for anything else?
                I looked into the secondary of the output xfmr and it is supposed to be under 1 ohm
                As far as the volume, I think I had mentioned that I checked the pot off the circuit and it measured 1 Mohm plus it was varying as I turned the shaft. So it is not the volume control.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X