Non-polarized to polarized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-polarized to polarized?

I'm looking to replace a couple of non-polarized caps with polarized caps. Is this safe to do or no? The values are the exact same and I have them on hand is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance,Greg

Not in that way. You have to make a non-polar out of 2 polarized electrolytics back to back. There was a discussion here about it recently, can't remember where.
    The negative ends of the 2 caps are connected together, each cap needs to be double the capacitance of the value you want.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

non polarized (NP) caps are usually electrolytic caps designed for passing an AC signal, like audio. Thus they are found in (cheaper) speaker crossover networks. Only a few type of caps are polarized, famously standard EL and tantalum caps. Nonpolarized EL caps are often two polarized EL caps attached +/- and are a compromise, but there are millions in various audio circuits where they do AOK. If they need to handle AC they start out as NP caps and need to stay that way.

Comment

You didn't say what the value or rating is, but FWIW Radioshack carries NP electrolytics in 1, 2.2, 4.7 and 10 uF, 50 V

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelTechinTraining View Post
          I'm looking to replace a couple of non-polarized caps with polarized caps. Is this safe to do or no?
          If there's some good reason a non polarized cap was used in the first place, better stick with 'em. And if you must replace, it's safe to use a film cap with voltage rating same or greater. Of course that will cost more and likely take up more space. OTOH your circuit's long term reliability will be enhanced as the film cap's lifetime is generally much better than electrolytic.

There was a trend a few years ago to install non polarized caps as cathode bypass in tube pre circuits. Of course all kinds of positive claims were made. "Tastes better!" "Less fattenng!" Seems to have gone away now.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Merlin advocated NP cathode bypass caps I seem to remember, but NP EL caps will persist anywhere you need smaller and cheaper, like cross overs
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PolkLF_FinishedSM.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	833300 film caps (and air core inductors!) can be HUGE

Comment

Thanks all, the caps are 22uf/50v and are used in the bias voltage of a JTM60. I'll just order some new(same) ones. G-one I saw that thread on back to back caps to make a NP cap from polarized.

Comment

Just get something real. These caps couple the AC from the power transformer into the rectifiers of the bias supply.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelTechinTraining View Post
                  Thanks all, the caps are 22uf/50v and are used in the bias voltage of a JTM60. I'll just order some new(same) ones. G-one I saw that thread on back to back caps to make a NP cap from polarized.
                  If they're being used as Enzo describes, you're much better off with film caps.

I take non pols as a poor substitute for film, to be used only in the cheapest speaker crossovers or in circuits where polarity is unpredictable.
                  Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 05-13-2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

The caps the OP is referring to are actually coupling AC- not filtering it. Here's a link to the schematic. (see lower left).

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/j600-61-02-1.gif

Edit: You got me Leo! I posted this before your edit. That said, I agree. Film caps would be better here.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      The caps the OP is referring to are actually coupling AC- not filtering it.
                      Thanks Dude! I changed my post to address that. Whoops. Marshall must have thrown caution to the wind, but we're used to that by now.

Comment

Well, those are voltage doublers, probably fed from some windings designed to eventually get +/-15V DC for preamp, loop or reverb.
                        And they do not NEED to be NP, a couple standard/polarized 22uF x 50V will be very happy there, connected with the negative terminal towards the D113/114 anodes, or D109/110 cathodes.
                        Positive terminals towards the transformer windings .
                        Donīt think they will suffer more than any other voltage doubler circuit and film caps, although "better" are probably wonīt fit anyway.
                        2 x 22uF caps in a film version wonīt be small or cheap, thatīs for sure , and probably wonīt even fit.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks again. I see now that they are AC coupling caps. JM you are right a film cap at 22uf seems scarce at the least. I'll just use the polarized caps I have. Again thanks for the clarification ,Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X