Peavey Folded Line Reverb Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Folded Line Reverb Tank

Well I didn't know these existed with the Molex pins before.

From a 1986 Peavey KB-100 I'm looking at for a buddy. Mounted vertically, input up along the left sidewall of the speaker enclosure. Looks to be an O.C. Electronics but has no label, only a partially obscured stamped number. Measured DCR 97 ohms input, 374 ohms output.

Sadly, though I have succeeded many times repairing broken coil leads to the Molex pins in other tanks this one was broken too close to the coil and I failed. I ordered up a MOD 8EB2C1B in hopes that will be close enough to work. Too bad - the tank looks to be in pretty good condition mechanically.
    Attached Files

I've sometimes got lucky undoing the tape and unwinding a couple wraps of wire, then resoldering to the connection. A dental pick helps with the tape & the wire.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

As it happens I did laboriously/carefully unwrap the tape, only to find it was the start (inner) lead. Bummer.

Thanks for that suggestion though!

Comment

Yeah, sometimes you can get to the broken coil wire, sometimes you can't.

I use my microscope at work for these, helps see alot better.

Comment

Great timing for this post Mark!

I am currently working on a Peavey KB300. This amp uses an Accutronics 8EB2C1B tank, located just below where the chassis is mounted. I wouldn't have expected to see two wires broken off in the tank. Using Greg's suggestions, I was able to use an Exacto knife and get to the wires on the coil. I did some soldering (under a big magnifying glass) and shored things up with some heat shrink tubing. Voila... this tank will live to see another day.
          Attached Files
          It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Rewinding coils is pretty easy and I usually save up a stack of broken reverb tanks to fix in one session. Drill out the rivets, remove the coils, rewind and reassemble. I replace the rivet with a small screw, nut and washer (10BA here in the UK). The coils are pretty tolerant of windings and I just fill the bobbins to roughly where they were by marking the bobbin before removing the old winding.

Comment

Working...
            X