Silvertone 1484 Noise Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1484 Noise Issues

I picked up a 1484 for my next project. It amplifies the guitar signal well, but it is also generating noise that seems independent of the guitar signal.

The noise sounds like crackling, wind, etc and varies on its own in intensity and volume. It can start to build in volume so loud, to the point where I have to flick the standby switch to stop it. It is present even with both volume knobs set to zero. My hunch would be capacitor issues. The capacitors in there look like a mix of original and replacements. I have attached some pics.

I know this is likely a common issue but I have little experience with working on these issues. Looking for recommendations on how to approach this.

When I first got the amp I went through the whole thing, tested all tubes, cleaned all connections. Tested the amp and did not hear any noise. I then repaired the jewel light holder (no continuity on center pin, I soldered a jumper wire) and installed an output jack. Now I have the noise. I can't imagine my repairs would have anything to do with the noise.

Thank you! Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6423.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	870154

Name:	IMG_6424.JPG
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	870155

Name:	IMG_6427.JPG
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	870156

Name:	IMG_6353.JPG
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	870157
    Attached Files

The first thing I would suspect would be tube or socket issues.
    Have you tried other tubes and cleaned the sockets?
    You said you tested the tubes, but unless you tried them in another amp you can not test them for noise.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I did clean the sockets.

Yee Haw.... I just swapped out all the tubes (but one 6CG7 cause I could not find a spare) and there is no noise!!! I will try to isolate the noisy tube(s) later.

I have another noise issue with the reverb but I will open a new thread for that.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X