Damaged retainer pin on v3 of 1989 jcm 800 2205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged retainer pin on v3 of 1989 jcm 800 2205

i simply damaged one of the pins on preamp tube socket (V3) on a Marshall JCM 800 2205. any chances of fixing the damaged retainer pin? or should i just use a 7/64 " drill point, drill holes on the 2 rivets and remove the old socket? Replacing it with a spare fender the twin (red knob twin) preamp tube socket which will be fastened to the chassis with screws and nuts?

After solving the above issue should i replace this preamp socket (V3) with a Belton Micalex 9 pin preamp tube socket or isnt there any better material or quality preamp tube socket? My Fender twin reverb reissue sockets have really tight pins.

There are many ways to skin this cat. Your ideas all seem reasonable. Just FYI: I've successfully replaced just a single pin in a socket (if you have some old sockets laying around).
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      There are many ways to skin this cat. Your ideas all seem reasonable. Just FYI: I've successfully replaced just a single pin in a socket (if you have some old sockets laying around).
      can you show me? how do i replace the single pin. I have like 9 old sockets from a Fender the twin aka red knob twin i used to have until i got rid of it lying around.

Comment

Normally, the pins are locked in from the solder side with a bend. Look and you will see a slot in the ceramic part of the socket. The pin will be bent so that it stays put. Remove all solder, use a needle nose to bend it straight so it fits through the slot. Push it through the tube side. Do the reverse to install the new pin. It's really quite simple. I bet, if you just have a close look, you can figure it out.

Edit: Different sockets can have different pins, so you will need to compare pins to make sure the "new" pin will be the same and fit.

Edit (again): If you have sockets that will fit without too much trouble, it might be quicker to just replace the entire socket.

Comment

Dude,

Thanks! Your advice helped me solve my problem without having to rivet out the original preamp tube socket. I simply removed one of the pins of an old 12ax7 tube socket i had around from my former red knob twin and slide it as you explained. Reverb came back and now i am rockin again. Any upgrades you recommend for this amp? other than the power and output transformers?

Comment

Great.
            I've had to do the same on several old amps, usually Silvertones for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by jalexquijano View Post
              ...... Any upgrades you recommend for this amp? other than the power and output transformers?
              I'm not much into the "mod school". That said, others might chime in. What exactly is it that you don't like about the amp or what are you trying to achieve. Please don't start doing mods just for the sake of doing mods or because somebody said it was cool. Have specific goals and mod only to achieve those goals. I'm not sure why you mentioned the transformers. The stock 800 iron should be just fine. The only other thing I'll add is to, before the soldering iron comes out for mods, try some different speakers. They're cheaper than transformers and will have a more dramatic effect on changing the amp tonally, IMO.

Comment

A very popular mod is the change of address mod - send it to me and I'll play the snot out of it the way it is. Just kidding!

Seriously, that is a great amp and all it needs is good tubes, the right speakers, and a good guitarist.

Comment

Will that give it a less nasal tone?
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey-ooo, badump bump.

I had the 2210 head and 50w combo versions.

I bumped up the gain of the reverb return signal so it also acted as a lead volume boost.
                    Volume pedal in the FX loop is a cool trick also.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      Will that give it a less nasal tone?
                      With septoplasty, yes

Comment

Working...
                      X