No announcement yet.

Power Transformer leaking question for Bassman AB 165

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the perspective TimmyP So I did that test and across the 10K resistor I get 0.4 volts or 400 mv So I guess that confirms that the current is low enough to not kill anyone. I repeated the voltage test direct from chassis to ground (no resistor) and with the high meter impedence in play now I get 58 volts and 35 volts depending on the if I reverse the two prong plug. So those readings are moving around a bit from the last time I took them. Probably as expected. I also tested direct chassis to ground on my Princeton reverb and Fender Pro Reverb withe the ground lifted and I only get about 20-30 mv. So it's definitely more leakage than those two amps. I know it's probably safe but I'm thinking it makes me nervous. I'll probably pop in a new Hammond PT to play it safe. All other wiring checks out ok.

Comment

Test anything from the 2-prong AC days and I think you will find a high leakage voltage - and not due to age - the stuff did this when it was new - I was there :-)

Comment

It probably depends on people sensitivity, but I guess that amp will lightly tickle people if plugged the wrong way .... and nothing worse.

And not tickle at all if you mount a grounded 3 wire system there ... which you should in any case.

You know, in that case the "10k resistor" becomes less than 1 ohm

Do as you wish, personally I donīt see that transformer as dangerous .... not even annoying if properly grounded.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

OK guys, You've calmed my nerves! I'll save the $85 at Amplified parts for another more deserving problem. The Amp does already have a good three pronged plug and the death cap is long gone. Obviously it should always be plugged into a properly grounded outlet. My concern was if for some reason it got plugged into a poorly wired house outlet - would it hurt anyone. I didn't have any perspective on what's "normal" leakage, But all your input makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
          X