swr workingmans combo 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swr workingmans combo 15

Im in Los angeles, and i have this swr that friend gave me . completley dismantled meaning transformer isnt wired in and board is out of enclosure. I dont have a schematic. He said that the amp was powering on but no sound was coming out of any channels including headphone. I think id like to start from the ground up on this one but im not sure about the transformer leads and how it goes wired to the switch. Im aware of the voltages involved . where do i start? any help is appreciated

O/k.

Let's start with the schematics.

Workingman 12-15.zip

Comment

I'd start by wiring in the transformer primary circuit and then testing the circuit to see that the transformer is okay.

If the board has been removed, then either the output transistors have been unmounted from the heat sink or they have been removed from the board. Which is it?

Can you post a photo showing what the condition of the amp is?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        I'd start by wiring in the transformer primary circuit and then testing the circuit to see that the transformer is okay.

If the board has been removed, then either the output transistors have been unmounted from the heat sink or they have been removed from the board. Which is it?

Can you post a photo showing what the condition of the amp is?
        output transisitors have been lifted from the heatsink ill get you pics asap

Comment

as far as the transformer wiring. Should I wire it up with the fuse and switch? Or should i go direct ? Now should the transformer have 3 input wires and three out to bridge?Click image for larger version

Name:	1479864540931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	844190

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1479864884296.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	844191

theres the board

Comment

Originally posted by zairec14 View Post
              as far as the transformer wiring. Should I wire it up with the fuse and switch? Or should i go direct ? Now should the transformer have 3 input wires and three out to bridge?[ATTACH=CONFIG]41523[/ATTACH]
              Wire it up like it should be.
              The pic shows two wires with terminals (one looks tied off)
              Those are the Primary side inputs.
              The secondary is Red/ Ylw/ Red

It is really tough finding a complete transformer wiring diagram for an SWR amp.
              This is as close as it gets.
              wrkmn2004 Pwr Sup.pdfwrkmn2004 Pwr Sup.pdf

Comment

There are three wires on both the primary and the secondary. The primary has a 100 vac input tap and a 120 v input. Look at the top label for the wire positions.

I would wire it in position with the primary connected to the fuse and power switch and then read the ac secondary voltages to see that they are correct and more importantly that the fuse does not blow with no load on the transformer secondary.

There are three wires that enter the chassis through the IEC jack. They should be marked Hot or Line, Neutral and Ground. The ground is always the center pin. The Hot side usually has a hard wired pigtail fuse that connects to a terminal strip. I don't recall if it comes before or after the external fuse holder, but at least it will help you to identify the Hot side wiring.

Post a photo of the chassis wiring with details of the back area where the IEC connector is located.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  Wire it up like it should be.
                  The pic shows two wires with terminals (one looks tied off)
                  Those are the Primary side inputs.
                  The secondary is Red/ Ylw/ Red

It is really tough finding a complete transformer wiring diagram for an SWR amp.
                  This is as close as it gets.
                  [ATTACH]41527[/ATTACH][ATTACH]41527[/ATTACH]
                  Thats great! i should be able to work with that.
                  RT1 before the fuse ... Is that a bulb?!
                  The .01 250v is that the ground rail? I have a 355k 250v cap and a 10w 8.2RK ceramic paralell eachother on the ground rail. am i oriented correctly? wait... one more? at the switch white wire before the contact 3 to 2 in between... what is that symbol?

Comment

i will get right on those pics. if im reading this correctly IEC jack to bulb ?? to fuse to ground rail switch for the hot and same for the nuetral??? or no theres a split at the capacitor and im only assuming thats the ground rail because theres no other 250v cap before the switch that i know of.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161122_214448.jpg
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	844197

Comment

Originally posted by zairec14 View Post
                        i will get right on those pics. if im reading this correctly IEC jack to bulb ?? to fuse to ground rail switch for the hot and same for the nuetral??? or no theres a split at the capacitor and im only assuming thats the ground rail because theres no other 250v cap before the switch that i know of.
                        RT1 is a thermistor/surge protector. They usually look like a large black flat ceramic capacitor. The amp may or may not have one.

Comment

it doesnt have one but it did have a fuze soldered from the hot on iec jack to the fuse in series. the soldering was shitty and it broke contact so i just left it off.recommendations? i know fender has put bulbs in this format for the same reasons i think. surge protection

Comment

355k 250v cap
                            Sorry but this does not make sense.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              355k 250v cap

Sorry but this does not make sense.
                              3.5uF 10% 250V?

Comment

Working...
                              X