59 RI Bassman power tranny - zero voltage on secondary side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 RI Bassman power tranny - zero voltage on secondary side

I have rebuilt a non working '59 bassman reissue that had a couple of dubious mods, broken wires and loose solder joints. Since it was in bad shape i ripped out everything and converted it to a point to point amp. Everything is looking fine but I get no voltage on the secondary side. I switsched it on with only the rectifyer installed. Between the white and black/red wires (230V tap) I get the 230 volts AC so the fuse and switch are ok. Across the red wires on the rectifyer I get 0 volts.
    The wiring looks ok ... red/yellow is wired to ground, the rectifyer is wired correctly, red/blue is connected to the bias circuit and the unused power taps are isolated off. Could there be any other explaination for this than a defective power tranny? I just want to make sure before i order a new one

thanks!

Excuse me if this seems a stupid question, but I've no idea about your technical abilities and/or knowledge. You are measuring AC and not DC voltage on the secondary, correct?
    Last edited by The Dude; 04-07-2017, 09:02 PM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Are the Black/Yellow and Black/Green wires joined? Do you have continuity on the primary?

Schematic link: http://el34world.com/charts/Schemati...N_59_REV_E.pdf
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

And tell us if you read voltage on the 6.3V and/or the 5V secondary windings.
        If yes, and you still get a 0V reading on the high voltage secondary, then it would appear that you have a defective transformer.
        Edit: In that case I would expect that a resistance reading of the high voltage secondary, with the unit powered off and all filter caps drained of course, would show an open circuit.
        Last edited by Tom Phillips; 04-07-2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Yes. AC

Comment

No, they are isolated off separately

Comment

Can we be more specific what we are answering?

Is the primary winding open?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

sometimes there is a thermal fuse hidden in the tranny bobbin,i'd try to remove the tape and look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
                  sometimes there is a thermal fuse hidden in the tranny bobbin,i'd try to remove the tape and look for it.
                  That's normally on the primary side. In that case the primary side would be open. Check for continuity in the primary.

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                    Are the Black/Yellow and Black/Green wires joined? Do you have continuity on the primary?

Schematic link: http://el34world.com/charts/Schemati...N_59_REV_E.pdf
                    Originally posted by Bluefinger View Post
                    No, they are isolated off separately
                    Can I assume the answer you posted was to my question?

If the Black/Yellow and Black/Green are not connected, it won't work. You can buy a replacement transformer and it still won't work. This is an expensive lesson you seem wanting to learn.

Here's a simple test. Disconnect the Mains plug from the mains. Set your meter to Ohms and connect the two leads to the two pins/blades on the Mains plug that normally supply current to the amp. Switch the amp On. If you are in North America or Japan the meter should read about 35 Ohms. If you are in a country with 210 to 240 Volt Mains, the reading should be about 70 Ohms. If the meter gives an over-range indication, the primary wires of the transformer are not connected properly and the amp won't work until they are. If you can't follow the schematic I linked, say so and someone will walk you through it.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.

Comment

I disconnected the primary side and yes, it's open. I asked the owner and he told me that the amp smelled burnt as it stopped working.... it seems like that tranny is done.

Comment

A burnt smell could have been almost anything, but it is unlikely it was the transformer.

What Mains Voltage are you trying to use?
                        Attached Files

Comment

If the Black/Yellow and Black/Green are not connected, it won't work. You can buy a replacement transformer and it still won't work. This is an expensive lesson you seem wanting to learn.

Here's a simple test. Disconnect the Mains plug from the mains. Set your meter to Ohms and connect the two leads to the two pins/blades on the Mains plug that normally supply current to the amp. Switch the amp On. If you are in North America or Japan the meter should read about 35 Ohms. If you are in a country with 210 to 240 Volt Mains, the reading should be about 70 Ohms. If the meter gives an over-range indication, the primary wires of the transformer are not connected properly and the amp won't work until they are. If you can't follow the schematic I linked, say so and someone will walk you through it.
                          ok, i got it ... this is a funny wiring for a tranny ... Haven't seen something like that before. The ones i have been using use only one tap for the needed voltage and that's it. on this one the coil is interupted.

Still the colors on your diagram do not match the colors on the tranny in this amp completely. There's no violet and no black/white wire. hope the other ones are the same

Comment

ok, I know what's going on. Of course I get infinite resistance if there are two coils in there that need to be connected with blk/yel + blk/gr. I hope that the color codes are similar to the diagramm. white and black/red was definitely connected to the mains voltage. i wrote that down. Since i never saw an interupted primary winding before I didn't pay the other taps any mind. I assumed that they were all connected to dead ends.

so I'm going to leave black isolated off, connect blk/yel and blk/gr and see what voltage i am getting.

Comment

The attached diagram is from the Rev A schematic. It might be closer to what you have. The transformer part number is 036484.

Again I ask, what Mains Voltage are you trying to use?

As a safety precaution, I suggest you use a "light bulb limiter" (Google it if you don't know what that is) and remove all the tubes until you can power up the amp and measure something close to 6.3VAC on the pilot lamp. A wrong connection on the primary could blow the transformer or a Mains fuse if connections are not right.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X