Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 Power tube pcb is dead

Hi

I paid $75 to buy this dead 5150 combo amp.

I found out the power tube pcb is dead.
    Three ic caps on the preamp board is leak.
    I will replace it with F&T caps (ordered)

And will replace all Power supply cap to BC. I tried BC caps in ampeg amp before. Sound really good. And long life. And this amp used 20 years , so I think the cap will dead soon. Moreover, I don't believe IC caps.

But the main problem is, the power tube board is burned. I plan to custom make it. But some are on this board is damaged , I don't know how the wire or route on this board.

Do anyone have this 5150 and can share this pcb look to me?

Thanks

Originally posted by tboy
    3 dead photo links deleted
    I google it, seem a lot of people say peavey 5150 power tube board always have problem like this. Why this amp have this problem?
    How can I avoid it?

Thanks
    Last edited by tboy; 08-16-2017, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tboy
      3more dead photo links deleted
      I google it, seem a lot of people say peavey 5150 power tube board always have problem like this. Why this amp have this problem?
      How can I avoid it?

Thanks
      Last edited by tboy; 08-16-2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

The occasional board burns up, but the vast majority of them do not. They do not always have this problem. The same board is used in 5150, 5150-2, JSX, XXX, and others.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Those links don't work for me.

Comment

Comment

Dead photo link deleted by tboy.
              Last edited by tboy; 08-16-2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Dead photo link deleted by tboy.
                Last edited by tboy; 08-16-2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Hi
                  I think I will fix this pcb rather than make a new one.

I want to use something to fill the burned area. What thing should I use to fill it?

And I really don't know why this amp burned like this. What's of the amp?
                  And one of this diode complete destroy.

I really don't want this happen again.

Comment

I missed that it was the combo, sorry.

ANy amp can torch a board like that, all it takes is an arc to form.

You could make a new board, or you could mount two sockets to the chassis, and build the circuit around them point to point, ther are only a handful of parts on that board.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You need to clean off the board thoroughly and determine how much is burned up. You have to cut away (Dremel or similar) ALL of the carbonized area. If you leave any it will likely arc up again. Take a few pictures before doing so, otherwise you may lose track of where the remaining copper runs. I've repaired plenty of badly damaged boards. Sometimes I use a piece of plain board and epoxy this over the hole and drill through this new piece and fit small eyelets to mount components. This isn't strictly necessary - you can bend over the leads of components and wire up the new piece point-to-point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwm488 View Post
                        Hi
                        I think I will fix this pcb rather than make a new one.

I want to use something to fill the burned area. What thing should I use to fill it?

And I really don't know why this amp burned like this. What's of the amp?
                        And one of this diode complete destroy.

I really don't want this happen again.
                        I second Enzo's suggestion - toss the PCB and wire it point to point. You'll have the job done before than you can get 1/10th of the way through designing a PCB.

PS: your image links don't work. It's better just to attach your pics to the post using the image icon.
                        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

yeah no, the new pv boards are not crap, but they are not as good as the old light grn/yellow stuff they used to use,

so another vote for ceramic/hard wire

not as bad as the valveking which has the driver on the board,

5150 has a potent hi-freq output transformer, had one that was arcing inside and causing the amp to go unstable, you might have the same thing which is why the board fried.

here is the VK100 job, used old school tube turrets which are fantastic solutions if you can find them on evilbay in non oxidized form, usually made by Vector.

one hassle with the 5150 is the OPT sits right over the preamp tubes, and the pri lead dress might need redressing away from trouble, maybe shorten leads,

you can do a serious upgrade to coupling caps also why you are under the hood,

does the 5150 have the weird dc series heater string? can't remember, Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	846189

Click image for larger version

Name:	vector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	846190
                          Last edited by cjenrick; 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hi
                            I made a final decision. I find a guy, he can make a new pcb for me.
                            But I have question, how can I remove the pcb turrent and install it to the new pcb?
                            Thanks

Comment

Please state where (which Country and City) you are writing from.
                              Answers depend a lot on that.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X