Fender SF Twin Reverb red plating and mains draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender SF Twin Reverb red plating and mains draw

I am looking at a CBS era Fender SF Twin Reverb that has the two far right 6l6 with intense red plating (long vertical along inner center of tube) the left inner pair looks fine. The tube heat seems more intense than i would expect. The amp sounds good. What voltage node would be at fault?

Also how do I reconcile that the AC mains current draw shows 3.5 amp on a line monitor, while the fuse rating is 2.5. Thanks.

Fuses are not well calibrated. Don't trust them. Hopefully they will protect your amp under catastrophic failure.

Your amp is readplating and drawing a lot of current. You didn't give us many clues to work with, so here are some basic questions.

First things first: set the bias properly. Have you done this already?

If bias is set properly, but tubes are still redplating, swap the left side pair with the right side pair. Does the redplating follow the tubes or stay at the same sockets?

How old are the filter caps?

Have you done any work on this amp?
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Output Tube Biasing Problems
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

So each pair of 6L6s have a common cathode connection, and both tubes of the pair have the same red glow. Seems 8nlikely both tubes would be bad...

I dont think these amps have a bias pot, but have read they have some type of bias balance pot. Maybe it is off balance...

Comment

Simply put, you need to check the plate dissipation on each pair of tubes, left and right. Why guess? Do you need to learn how?

The Last Word On Biasing
          --
          I build and repair guitar amps
          http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

take some measurements and report back to us. then we can tell you more. until you start working your way down the decision tree there's no way to tell what's going on. it could be any of the causes already listed.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

The two tubes on one side are in parallel, more or less. If one of those tubes shorts its grid, it can kill bias to that tube. Unfortunately it can also then kill the bias to its partner tube.

Just pull the two tubes, and measure voltage around the socket. Got B+ on pin 3 and 4 of each? Got good bias on pin 5 of each - about -50v. That will tell you whether the tubes are the problem or if the tubes are glowing because the socket is not providing good voltage.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Since it's both tubes on one side, and it's reported as "intense", I would say DON'T TROUBLE WITH THE TUBE SWAP OR CHECKING BIAS WITH SOME KIND OF PLUG IN TOOL. Pull the tubes and take the chassis out of the cabinet. Turn it on and check for bias (-V) on pin 5 of the offending sockets. I suspect there is a cracked or badly drifted bias feed resistor, a bad solder connection for that resistor or some other fault that would ordinarily connect those tubes to their bias supply.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Will try tomorrow. i dont do this work very often so appreciate the guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    Since it's both tubes on one side, and it's reported as "intense", I would say DON'T TROUBLE WITH THE TUBE SWAP OR CHECKING BIAS WITH SOME KIND OF PLUG IN TOOL. Pull the tubes and take the chassis out of the cabinet. Turn it on and check for bias (-V) on pin 5 of the offending sockets. I suspect there is a cracked or badly drifted bias feed resistor, a bad solder connection for that resistor or some other fault that would ordinarily connect those tubes to their bias supply.
                    ^^^^^^That......or a leaky coupling cap from the PI to that pair of tubes.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      or a leaky coupling cap from the PI to that pair of tubes.
                      ^^^^^^^^ Yeah! Or that.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

... all of which are mentioned in RG's list.

Comment

There was no bias on the red plating pair. I lifted the connection from the tube pair on the balance pot and voltage was on the pot. I cut out and replaced the 2000 pf cap and reattached and looks like its ok. 50 volts bias on each pair...ok?

Comment

That oughta do it........ assuming you mean -50V.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I guess thats an AA769 with the 2000pf's from grids to ground?
                              I'd think it's pretty rare for one of those to short, although most of them probably get removed before they have a chance.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X