No announcement yet.

AMPEG'S current method to prevent servicing SVT-CL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha bought the line/name. Give them a year or two to start influencing the product itself, they can't just overnight change everything.

In my decades servicing Yamaha, I cannot say I ever sensed a problem with construction or build quality.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
      Actually, I haven't spoken with anyone since 2011 or maybe 2012...Loud Technology. You're right....they should have the views of those who have to service these after they come back off tours, riding the trucks in road cases. And for sure, with their current manufacturing methods that in some cases, are enough to throw your hands up in disgust, wanting to quit on it, though my pride won't let me.

Though, putting the main PCB back into the chassis, and after having to grovel on the floor again after the ice cream lid full of the hardware to remount that big board was recovered....the two long black thread-cutting screws that came OUT of the XLR Male connector...absolutely DO NOT want to thread back in. WTF????!! It's plastic inhibiting a steel screw?!! I had the same problem with the other one yesterday.

Ampeg also eliminated the right angle Fast-on connectors of the Heater Wires, where they had always plugged onto the bottom of the power tube PCB, and all too often, oxidation build-up on the crimp connections generate so much heat, the plastic sleeves over the right angle connector would blacken, then you'd loose heater voltage all together. Those are now directly soldered into the PCB. With large blobs of solder on the top side of the PCB's solder pads. Of course they eliminated the service loop on that jacketed paired wires, so getting those off the board for further disassembly is thrilling work.

I wonder if you have to contact Yamaha to get to who is in charge of customer service / production engineering to address all their faults. Heaven forbid they correct all the ills found from shoddy production. I make a lot of money on these amps due to that.

Ah, and of course, they DO come with the transformers installed. You just have to compete their manufacturing efforts.....full teardown to get at all of the mtg screws req'd.

AS for Warranty repairs, based on setting these amp up so they're survive tours, that would be an interesting challenge. This weeks venture is both Preventative Maintenance and minor modification to make them more serviceable (removing the garden hose sleeving for Tech Flex used on the two preamp harness bundles), and adding lock washers strategically.
      If you want to contact the service dept at Yamaha, in Canada, contact Warren Clarke.....he is the service manager...........I only see these about once a year if that and the handful that are floating around my beck of the woods are not new units......

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
        Wait, you're saying they come without transformers installed?
        They come with transformers- just not fully installed.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

https://ampeg.com/roundsound/
          Give it a shot.
          They state that they are listening.

Oh, and check out the 50th anniversary SVT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            https://ampeg.com/roundsound/
            Give it a shot.
            They state that they are listening.

Oh, and check out the 50th anniversary SVT.
            I looked there briefly, and will prepare a document covering all of the years' insights I've gained in the care & feeding of the SVT-CL/VR/AV series, SVT2-Pro as well. Thanks for the heads-up. Calabasas is not too far away as well........used to play at the Sundance Saloon out there back in the early 70's with my band.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
            X