Capacitor Guts or Glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor Guts or Glue?

Greetings. I am about to start on a Tweed Tone 20 amp, a Chinese made amp that looks very similar to a Blues Jr, but I think it may sound a bit better courtesy of its Celestion speaker. Like the BJr, the main PCB is mounted vertically. When I looked at the main filter caps there was this solidified purply-black coloured hard stuff that was flowing down the PCB from the caps. Have you ever seen anything like this? Is it just sloppy gluing at the factory ... or capacitor guts that have oozed out of the bottom of these radial caps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacitor glue or guts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	905.0 KB
ID:	876054

Glue. Radicals vent from the top.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

That is really sloppy glue.
      Whatever the formula, I would scrape it away from the resistors as it 'may' become conductive someday.

Comment

And just for the future, you'll know if it's cap guts. They stink to high heaven if they're fresh. And if not, it's usually seen as a light-colored powder or crust that gets left behind when the electrolyte dries away. If they explode there'll be bits or rolls of aluminum foil in the immediate vicinity.

And yeah, I'd hesitate to use anything colored black on a circuit board... I'm with Mr. Bass on the "clean up what you can" thing.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          Radicals vent from the top.
          I've always wondered where these so-called 'free radicals' come from.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It’s weird for the gloop used to mechanically secure parts to the board to be 2 tone.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I think that is just the light playing tricks.
              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Two tone? My guess is that the glue reacted with the dye in the capacitor's plastic wrapper.

Comment

There’s a light blue MF style resistor, may be 2W, between R19 and R49; the gloop is clear at one end if it, dark at the other?
                  And it’s dark around the tab connector (red wire, upper right of board).
                  My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Hot melt glue gun that was reaching the end of one stick and had a different colour stick put in for reload?
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I look at it and I see a dark smokey color goop, that in thin spots is translucent. Doesn't look like different colors, to me, anyway.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah I can imagine the design guys going "Let's use really dark colored glue so people will see the mess we made with it".
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          I've always wondered where these so-called 'free radicals' come from.
                          Here ya go just had to.

nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Thanks, Siri. 😡
                            --
                            I build and repair guitar amps
                            http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                              Thanks, Siri. ��
                              I figured that was probably some kind of auto-correct thing. Just having a bit of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X