Fender Stage 100 Amp troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Stage 100 Amp troubleshooting

Hello all, just stumbled across these forums and it appears to be a great resource! Here is the problem I'm having;

My Fender Stage 100 amp recently started crackling when I would play guitar through it. It was only when notes were being played. It would maintain the note without issue, but have a sort of crackling short-circuit sound as an overtone on top of it. I'm a novice, but it sounded like it might just be a loose solder joint somewhere, so I reheated some of the joints (on the caps, etc.) and this seemed to fit with what some other topics on here had to say about this amp.

After reheating the joints of the major components, I put it back together to test and it seems to be stuck on the dirty channel. I attempted to press the button on front to switch, and to use the footswitch but neither will allow me to switch back to the clean channel. On the plus side, the crackling APPEARS to be gone, but I can't know for sure until I can try it on both channels and really crank it. Anyone have any suggestions as to why it may be stuck on this channel? I visually went over the back of the board again and am pretty sure I didn't cause any shorts. Any other reasons why this would happen?

Thanks a lot for your time!

My first stab is the footswitch jack. See if it came unsoldered and if that isn't it I would change it. Also check and make sure you didn't bridge something together while touching up or a piece of solder dropped somewhere. Does sound like a loose connection or a bad op-amp.
    KB

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the footswitch jack, but the pushbutton on the front of the amp won't let me switch the channel either. I've checked for any accidentally bridged connections, but didn't see any. I will keep looking into this.

If anyone else has any suggestions too, I'd love to get some more input.

Comment

I reheated the solder on the leads of the cable running from the board to the pcb with the line out, footswitch, etc. It must have been shaken loose from having to do all sorts of contortions to get the board out of the chassis (they sure made it snug). Anyways, long story short I am able to switch the channels without issue again and the original crackling issue was resolved by re-soldering the capacitors. Thanks so much for the input. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X