Blues Deville no Verb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickb View Post

You should have 0VDC on pin1, 2 and 3 of U3. If not then something around it is open, shorted or U3 is bad.
    ??? Do you mean U2? U3 is in the channel/drive switching circuit.

Comment

Sorry Nick, what I meant was that I was getting 0V between the shield and the tip of the out, but 4V between the tip and ground. The shield isn't quite at ground potential.

Nonetheless, I switched out U2 and the voltages stabilized, and I have reverb. However the reverb sounds....how do I say..."shitty". I realized I put in an audio taper 100K, so I'll put back a log, but I'm sure that's not going to be the deal breaker.

Oh when this is all said and done remind me to tell y'all how a couple days ago when troubleshooting, I shorted the HV rail to the chassis after about the 60th time pulling it, and lost all signal. Then in troubleshooting that,(which I eventually found), one of the ribbon cables completely broke off, around the 100th time , and I had to hardwire V1.

Comment

So the verb is there, it's just really weak. On 10 it sounds like where most players would set their verb, if not in a surf band. I installed a couple differnt opamps to make sure I didnt fry one. Turning my attention to the recovery now.

Comment

Quickly identify recovery or drive by banging the pan. Rock the amp to crash the springs or whack the pan, whatever. Does the resulting noise come out loud or diminished?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post

??? Do you mean U2? U3 is in the channel/drive switching circuit.
            Indeed I meant U2.
            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post

Indeed I meant U2.
              Has he still haven't found what he's looking for?
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Quickly identify recovery or drive by banging the pan. Rock the amp to crash the springs or whack the pan, whatever. Does the resulting noise come out loud or diminished?
                When I hit the pan, it splashes, not super loud, but conversational level. The volume control doesn't affect the volume of the splash, but the reverb knob does.

All the resistors, even in circuit, check out in the recovery stage. Perhaps there is a bum cap? The reverb, while being weak sounding, also is brash, metallic sounding, almost distorted.

Comment

Ok now I have too much reverb.
                  I just rebuilt the driver stage and 75% of the recovery stage, and all is well. I think it was a dodgy ground reference resistor. Hope fully nothing else breaks when I put humpty dumpty back together. You should see the condition of the cab.
                  This has been a nightmare, I've learned a ton on this repair. Thanks everyone for the help and guidance!

Comment

Working...
                  X