Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this just happened when I was troubleshooting noise on my live amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this just happened when I was troubleshooting noise on my live amp...

Click image for larger version

Name:	293973EC-EDA7-423F-94DD-5AC6379AD6DE.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	914405 Click image for larger version

Name:	B635D178-914B-49CE-B4B5-744D79C3FC91.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	914406Ugh, The night was going so good. I was troubleshooting some noise issues, so my amp was live. I’d been able to isolate and solve it to almost zero background noise. But there were some final things I wanted to investigate.
    So I was reaching for some parts on the shelf over my bench; and as Im moving this small parts bin aside; these fuckers come flying down from the 3rd Rope like they were Superfly Jimmy Snuka. Before I knew it, they all managed to land right inside my live amp.
    As soon as I could I reached around and killed the power.....
    ugh. But Im calling it a night. Ill assess any damage tomorrow, as I pick up the pieces, literally.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Whoops! At least is looks like the problem, if any, will be at the lower power end, not the mains input end. Good luck.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Nothing terrible happened to the amplifier because the main cable was disconnected from the mains.
      Just turn the chassis 180 degrees, so that the parts that landed in the amplifier fall out, and everything will be as before.
      It's All Over Now

Comment

I'm sure it's ruined and almost valueless now. I'll buy it for parts, say, fifty bucks? I'll even pay shipping. I'm certain this is the best solution.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

AC main cable not connected to amplifier, just a little chaos on the bench whom needs to be put in order.
          Fifty dollars and pay for shipping Click image for larger version  Name:	Razmislja.gif Views:	0 Size:	428 Bytes ID:	914436
          It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
            AC main cable not connected to amplifier, just a little chaos on the bench whom needs to be put in order.
            Fifty dollars and pay for shipping
            He did say the amp was live when it happened. He then powered down and, I assume, he then unplugged it.

My offer stands

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
              Nothing terrible happened to the amplifier because the main cable was disconnected from the mains.
              It was connected and turned on at the time.
              Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
              they all managed to land right inside my live amp.
              As soon as I could I reached around and killed the power.....
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• vintagekiki
                vintagekiki commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm sorry, I didn't pay attention to detail

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              My offer stands
              50% is an agreed deal. Click image for larger version

Name:	a025.gif
Views:	207
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	914474
              The offer is highlighted, only SF to pack and ship.
              Fifty bucks is fifty bucks. Better something than nothing.
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Ha, had something fall into an amp I was working on the other day.

Luckily it didn't land on anything dangerous.

If anything you probably just blew a fuse if something shorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  I'm sure it's ruined and almost valueless now. I'll buy it for parts, say, fifty bucks? I'll even pay shipping. I'm certain this is the best solution.

Chuck, you wouldn’t want this amp. It uses EL84s
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

IF it were an SS amp it would be toast but being a tube one: very little possible damage , if at all.
                    probably works fine as is.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      probably works fine as is.
                      Just fire it right back up with all those parts in there like that? Probably the Mojo this amp needs

As an aside, before this happened, I was probing around different nodes with a shunt capacitor. I found that one of my 100k plate load resistors was causing %90 of the instability and noise issues.
                      It almost sounded as if every tube I put in that position was extremely microphonic and noisy.
                      But what's strange is that it was a new, modern 2W carbon film cap (I pretty sure it was a Multicomp). Has anyone else had a problem with these resistors in the past?
                      I was very skeptical that it was the problematic, but I swapped it out for a venerable old 120k/2W ECG metal film resistor (Corning). The big blue ones. Remember those? They're huge for 2W resistors by today's standars, but I loved those things. Plus,... I think they sound good (there. I said it.)

edit: this is the Phillips/Corning resitor

Name:	image_51938.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	914496

Comment

Blue isn't just the fastest colour.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post

Just fire it right back up with all those parts in there like that? Probably the Mojo this amp needs

As an aside, before this happened, I was probing around different nodes with a shunt capacitor. I found that one of my 100k plate load resistors was causing %90 of the instability and noise issues.
                          It almost sounded as if every tube I put in that position was extremely microphonic and noisy.
                          But what's strange is that it was a new, modern 2W carbon film cap (I pretty sure it was a Multicomp). Has anyone else had a problem with these resistors in the past?
                          I was very skeptical that it was the problematic, but I swapped it out for a venerable old 120k/2W ECG metal film resistor (Corning). The big blue ones. Remember those? They're huge for 2W resistors by today's standars, but I loved those things. Plus,... I think they sound good (there. I said it.)

edit: this is the Phillips/Corning resitor

Name:	image_51938.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	914496

Yikes, what's with those component leads sticking way out?

Work in progress?

Comment

Look at the wider photos in post #1. Those leads are from unused parts that fell into the chassis.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X