Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this just happened when I was troubleshooting noise on my live amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that "Multicomp" parts can be from any manufacturer. They just source from whomever can supply at the right price and speed. Therefore you are never quite sure of what you are getting. That said, I'm sure that one didn't meet it's specs.

My worst blow up was a high power SS amp. I kept my scope leads on the shelf above the bench. One fell and the ground clip shorted out the output. That was one expensive bang. My leads now live on a hook.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      My worst blow up was a high power SS amp. I kept my scope leads on the shelf above the bench. One fell and the ground clip shorted out the output. That was one expensive bang. My leads now live on a hook.
      Mine was when I was adjusting the bias on a solid state amp using a metal bladed screwdriver. I fumbled it and the screwdriver fell into the power amp with a crack and a flash. Nearly all the semiconductors in the power amp were killed. I now use a plastic screwdriver.

Comment

Speaking of screw driver slips: A customer of mine once picked up an EV Force 12 I'd just reconed for him. Brought it back an hour later. He had run a screw driver through the brand new cone while putting it back in the cabinet. I'm sure it's not the first or last time that has happened to someone.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Or those sharp pointed screws sticking out of a baffle, you go to slip the speaker mount holes onto those screws, and poke one through the cone.

I had an amp on the bench running with the lid on it. I went to remove the top cover to access adjustments, and as I removed one of the screws, the staked in threaded insert fell out into the works and blew up the SS power amp. Customer was standing next to me at the time.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Or those sharp pointed screws sticking out of a baffle, you go to slip the speaker mount holes onto those screws, and poke one through the cone.

I had an amp on the bench running with the lid on it. I went to remove the top cover to access adjustments, and as I removed one of the screws, the staked in threaded insert fell out into the works and blew up the SS power amp. Customer was standing next to me at the time.
            Oops.
            Now that had to be embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
            X