No announcement yet.

Peavey Classic 30 II 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the thermal fuse has a amperage rating so you know how much current it can conduct safely.. Thermal fuses don't blow from current, they blow from temperature. So the mains fuse amp rating and the thermal fuse amp ratings is apples and oranges.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
      I think you are saying a 1A fuse will blow before a 5A which makes the 5A sorta useless in protecting the transformer?
      The mains fuse is never there to protect the transformer. It's there to prevent situations dangerous to people. Many transformers go bad in amps that don't blow the mains fuse. As Enzo noted, the mechanistic action of the thermal fuse is, well, thermal. Making the current rating for the part moot provided it's not under rated for the circuit. This is much more likely to save a transformer.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I think the thermal fuse has a amperage rating so you know how much current it can conduct safely.. Thermal fuses don't blow from current, they blow from temperature. So the mains fuse amp rating and the thermal fuse amp ratings is apples and oranges.
        But at some point above their 'safe' rating, they are going to blow aren't they? In this case, installing a 1A thermal fuse in the PT primary of a unit that is running at more than 1 amp is going to be a problem I would think. For all the trouble of changing out the thermal in a PT, I would want to be pretty sure it is not going to open for any reason other than over-temp ?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Making the current rating for the part moot provided it's not under rated for the circuit. This is much more likely to save a transformer.
          My take is that a 1A part is quite under-rated for the circuit.

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

My understanding is that the current rating is more or less a "self-heat" rating. In other words, if the current through the device is at or near the max device rating, it will heat by itself without influence from the part it's protecting- motor, tranformer, etc. It is heat that makes the thermal cutoff go open, but too low of a current rating will add additional heat, which may or may not be part of the design. In this case, I'd have no problem using a higher current rated part. If the transformer gets too hot, the thermal fuse will still open. There is an additional mains fuse to take care of overcurrent.

Edit: The only thing you might want to check is the physical size of the higher current rated cutoff to make sure it will fit. I have not checked, but look at the datasheets.
            Last edited by The Dude; 10-24-2020, 12:51 AM.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              but too low of a current rating will add additional heat, which may or may not be part of the design.
              True! And a smart observation I hadn't considered. And as you said, likely based on the temp rating on the thermal fuse in question, the current rating is probably not part of the heating considerations for the thermal fuse in this case.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Advice please?

Ironically the replacement thermal fuses I bought ( 250v, 1A, axial, 145degree C)
                Panasonic EYP- 1BF145.) arrived on the same truck as the replacement transformer I ordered from Peavey.
                Original fuse was 134degrees but is obsolete where I looked so 145 C was recommended.

I’m about a C- in my understanding of this but i can handle soldering in the thermal fuse. I’m mostly curious to see if I can’t “fix it” with the fuse but simply putting in the new transformer is probably the simplest solution.

Is there a downside I am not considering to replacing the fuse? Do I risk additional damage to the circuit by doing so?

Thanks.

Comment

The new fuse would allow for a 11°C higher winding temperature. That might be too much for the wire insulation used. Consequence could be winding shorts and smoke in case of an amp failure that causes high transformer current.

In other words the PT/ amp will probably no longer meet safety requirements.
                  Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-28-2020, 04:40 PM.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks, so means I risk damage to Transformer and or fire? Or other parts of the circuit also?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
                      Thanks, so means I risk damage to Transformer and or fire? Or other parts of the circuit also?
                      Well, not as a direct result of the higher temp thermal fuse. But in the event that some fault happens in the amp that causes the transformer to heat, then maybe. I don't like thermal fuses in transformers. More often than not they blow before the transformer is jeopardized and then you have to add replacing a transformer to what might otherwise have been a less expensive repair.

You could always use the new transformer for the repair just so you know you practiced vigilance. Then repair the other transformer for use in a personal project.?.

Comment

I'm sure no one likes thermal fuses in transformers, including transformer and amp manufacturers- as they increase cost.
                        Rather they are forced by product safety standards.
                        There is no guarantee that a different replacement transformer with or without a thermal fuse complies with safety regulations in a given amp.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-29-2020, 12:02 AM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

A thermal fuse might open before a transformer suffers damage, but if that same transformer had no such fuse, the failure mode that heated the thing may well have gone unchecked and the transformer would have then burned up.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            A thermal fuse might open before a transformer suffers damage, but if that same transformer had no such fuse, the failure mode that heated the thing may well have gone unchecked and the transformer would have then burned up.
                            Or not. For the purposes of repair your replacing the transformer either way. Less often the case if no thermal fuse was stuck in there. But as Helmholtz mentioned, it's a probable design/liability matter and the manufacturers don't like it any better than we do.

Comment

I don't usually even suggest taking apart a transformer to replace the thermal fuse. That's not to say I'm suggesting you shouldn't do it either, but at your own risk. I've told the story here before, but a tech who is a friend of mine once bypassed a PT thermal fuse on a home receiver. Shortly after, the customer's apartment burned as a result. The tech was held liable for damages. Of course, bypassing the fuse is different than replacing it, so I'm not sure about the liability in that case. I suspect, however, that it wouldn't matter if it's seen that the transformer was cut open in any way. There's also the possibility that a fire would destroy the evidence. At the very least, I wouldn't detail that sort of repair on any service invoice.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Most thermal fuses are not solder connected.
                                They are crimped.

Comment

Working...
                                X