Acoustic 370 grounding issue, ch2 buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

I think there were several things going on at the same time, which made it confusing.

A previous tech had wired the input jacks incorrectly to the preamp board. Another previous tech added a 3-prong cord but didn't connect the ground wire. The amp was oscillating because that .1µ cap was bad and it took out the 10 ohm resistor. The power amp transistors must have been weak and blew during testing.

The owner is balking at $200 for the repairs, which I thought was very reasonable given the cost of parts and time spent. It took 3 different vendors to get all the parts, plus a huge amount of testing.

His main concern, however, is whether the amp is really fixed. Apparently the last tech that worked on it wanted more money to repair it, even though it didn't work properly.

Fortunately, I began the conversation by asking him to bring his guitar or bass to try it out when he picked it up. I also suggested bringing a speaker, but those things are huge.

We'll see.
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Ask the customer what he thinks the local car dealership would charge to replace an alternator. What's that, three bolts and a couple connections? How close to $200 will that come?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X