POP when switching channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP when switching channels

Are there any common mods to cure this? Amp switches channels via push/pull pot and a relay. Pretty loud pop when switching.
    The amp maker knows about this but wont offer any help and a schematic is out of the question . But offered to upgrade the switching if i ship the amp to him.......almost $700 !!

I do see theres 35vdc at the pot switch .. heres a pic of the relay and i dont see anything else on the board as far as an optocoupler , etc...

anything i can try ? Click image for larger version

Name:	R2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	921526

What amp is it.
    Put that info up so all can see how helpful they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      What amp is it.
      Put that info up so all can see how helpful they are.
      1996 Wizard 100 watt head

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post

1996 Wizard 100 watt head
        This one in the link for 4800?

geezz
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

It seems there are several models and there are some schematics out there.
          Need a specific model.
          nosaj

Comment

Modern classic 1 , 100w , single input , made in 96

Comment

Modern classic 1 , 100w , single input , made in 96
              Can't find anything on that. maybe enough info can be inferred from the modern classic 2 link I posted.

nosaj

Comment

From what I can see in either schematic, the relay input comes off of a ,02 blocking capacitor.
                Check to see that that cap is good and Not passing Vdc to the relay.
                If the cap is bad and passing Vdc , well, right there is a possible source of 'popping'.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  From what I can see in either schematic, the relay input comes off of a ,02 blocking capacitor.
                  Check to see that that cap is good and Not passing Vdc to the relay.
                  If the cap is bad and passing Vdc , well, right there is a possible source of 'popping'.
                  not passing dc

Comment

If it's like the schematic shown, the switching on the grid of V3b is a potential ( pun not intended) problem. There is always a small grid leak current which will develop a voltage over whatever resistance is present in the grid circuit. When the relay changes that resistance can also change resulting in a pop.

Try this, not perfect but it should do.
                    1. Add a 10nF in between the relay and the grid of V3b
                    2. Change the 2,2meg to 470k
                    3. Disconnect the 470k that goes to ground that is located after the rhythm master pot.
                    Last edited by nickb; 01-08-2021, 06:53 AM.
                    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                      If it's like the schematic shown, the switching on the grid of V3b is a potential ( pun not indented) problem. There is always a small grid leak current which will develop a voltage over whatever resistance is present in the grid circuit. When the relay changes that resistance can also change resulting in a pop.

Try this, not perfect but it should do.
                      1. Add a 10nF in between the relay and the grid of V3b
                      2. Change the 2,2meg to 470k
                      3. Disconnect the 470k that goes to ground that is located after the rhythm master pot.
                      i dont think that scem is accurate..... #2 and #3 you listed are not in the amp..i went over the whole board

Comment

i dont think that scem is accurate..... #2 and #3 you listed are not in the amp..i went over the whole board
                        Can you draw one up for us then since you have it in hand?
                        nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

Can you draw one up for us then since you have it in hand?
                          nosaj
                          no time.........if it helps , it does this with ALL volumes on 0

Comment

Well thats no help at all. You say the schem isn't right. And you don't have time to help us help you. Sounds like a done deal..

nosaj

Comment

Does the relay coil have a diode across it in very close proximity, to kill the spike?
                              Is the supply for the relay adequately decoupled?
                              Are you sure that the 0V common of the relay isn’t contaminating the signal 0V?
                              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                              X