Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Do you have a scope?
    I'm intrigued about using a scope to identify the problem. I'd presume that you feed a signal into the amp with a sig gen, then examine the waveform at various points along the signal path until you find where the hum is introduced into the circuit? Not sure if I have oversimplified this! If you could talk me through the basics of how to connect it up, suggested locations along the path to check etc. I would be very grateful.

Usual caveat applies regarding high voltages, extreme caution, not ending up being a charred and smoking guitarist on the end of a probe connected to the scope etc.

Comment

No sig gen required here as the hum is your signal.

Start with scoping the speaker output.

Also make sure there's no DCV across the output.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	51363599925_78d3a52c28_z.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	938457

I've just dug out the wife's scope - haven't plugged it in yet, so don't even know if it works. So when you say make sure no DCV across the output, I have connected my multimeter across the speaker wires and I'm getting the reading on the photo. Doesn't vary when I twiddle volume or gain knobs, or when I plug a lead in. Forgive my absolute newbie questions, but what is this telling me?

Comment

It's saying there's a -100mV offset on the output which is OK.

Comment

ok - great! I've connected the scope to the output, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at!

Comment

Working...
            X