No announcement yet.

Deluxe Reverb Reissue Crackle/hum/buz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking there may be a either a bad ground or the filter caps are going bad prematurely. Premature failure of filter caps isn't uncommon with the gray/black IC caps. Especially with long periods of disuse. Has this amp sat unused for a long time at some point? You're read makes it sound like probably not, but I can't know without asking.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck H https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...THZ8gtFb9JHVmg here are a couple of videos showing the crackle and then the hum/buz. The hum/buz sounds worse in the second video. Maybe I didn’t capture it well enough with my phone? Or the hum/buz got worse by the time I took that video, which was a couple of minutes after I took the crackle video.

Again, sorry if I’m not describing the symptoms well enough with what I’ve been troubleshooting. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Comment

Chuck H Its been used once or twice a week for the past 6 months or so, but it was dormant for maybe a year or so because of Covid.

Comment

This is going to sound cavalier to a lot of members here (and I may get some flames for it, but) I'd replace the filter caps. On principal alone if nothing else. Assuming you have the original IC caps in there I'll just point out that "I" and enough others have had trouble with premature failure that there's nothing to be lost other than the cost of replacement parts. The parts Fender put in there simply aren't that good so going forward replacing them, at the very least, eliminates a potential problem. And if there's a bad solder joint causing the problem that will probably be rectified with the work. So there's that. A dormant year is definitely a reason to suspect those particular IC caps. Not saying they can't make a better capacitor, just saying that Fender didn't buy them and it's shown itself as a problem enough that I'll suggest replacing them. JM2C and YMMV

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Thank you! I will try that and report back. I’m going away this weekend, but I’ll try to get it done next week.

Comment

Mega_Matt, Normally I'd recommend to build the signal probe and see if the plate resistors are the problem. However, it you're in there replacing the filter caps, I'd just go ahead and replace the plate resistors at the same time since they will be easily accessible. Plus they're inexpensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                Mega_Matt, Normally I'd recommend to build the signal probe and see if the plate resistors are the problem. However, it you're in there replacing the filter caps, I'd just go ahead and replace the plate resistors at the same time since they will be easily accessible. Plus they're inexpensive.
                This too ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  This is going to sound cavalier to a lot of members here (and I may get some flames for it, but) I'd replace the filter caps. On principal alone if nothing else. Assuming you have the original IC caps in there I'll just point out that "I" and enough others have had trouble with premature failure that there's nothing to be lost other than the cost of replacement parts. The parts Fender put in there simply aren't that good so going forward replacing them, at the very least, eliminates a potential problem. And if there's a bad solder joint causing the problem that will probably be rectified with the work. So there's that. A dormant year is definitely a reason to suspect those particular IC caps. Not saying they can't make a better capacitor, just saying that Fender didn't buy them and it's shown itself as a problem enough that I'll suggest replacing them. JM2C and YMMV
                  Finally got around to throwing those caps and and it worked! Thanks! Sounds great now.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta362 View Post
                    I haven’t thrown the resistors in yet because I wanted to do one thing at a time to so I could narrow down the issue. Appears it was the caps, but I’m gonna throw those resistors in anyways since I bought them and I still have the amp opened up. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X