Yamaha yst-sw012 subwoofer no worky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha yst-sw012 subwoofer no worky

I'm working on a yamaha subwoofer the 15v -+ rails were blown replaced the zeners and got the power supply back up. Still no signal so i want to trace through the circuit.
    So given front end of this amp has a LPF and HPF what frequency should I be using? i see the frequency response is 28hz to 200 hz . So I'm guessing a 100 hz is a good target.

Looking at the input sensitivity it says 50 mv (50hz 50 watts, 5 ohm) Does this mean input a 50hz signal will yield 50 watts into a 5 ohm load?

Thanks,
    nosaj
    Attached Files
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

100Hz should be good, and 50mV seems to be what it needs to give full power at 50Hz (50W into 5 ohms).
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

R45 & 46 usually fail if the wrong mains voltage is selected but can fail for other reasons as well.
      Have you 0v on pin 10 of IC1?
      50W into 5R means what it says.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
        R45 & 46 usually fail if the wrong mains voltage is selected but can fail for other reasons as well.
        Have you 0v on pin 10 of IC1?
        50W into 5R means what it says.
        R146 was burnt as well as the zeners.
        And yes there is voltage at pin1 about 3.45vDC so i guess a new module is in order.

nosaj

Comment

New module
          Pin1 3.8vdc schematic shows .2
          Pin2 .01 .2
          Pin3 0 0
          Pin4 -31.8 -34.9
          Pin5 14.3 14.5
          Pin6 4.95 1.1
          Pin 7 -2.85 -1.1
          Pin8 -32 -35.2
          Pin9 32 35.1
          Pin10 3.96 0

Pins1, 6, 7, 10 stickout to me but not sure where to go on it.

nosaj

Comment

By "new module" I presume you are talking about the output IC? Pin 10 is the output and has substantial DC voltage. I would be looking for where that's coming from.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You had that voltage at pin1 with the old and new power IC. It can only be coming from IC6. Why?
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'll followup with IC6 voltages tomorrow.
                Thanks,
                Jason

Comment

Ok IC6
                  Pin1 -14.87
                  pin2 -14.85
                  Pin3 0
                  Pin4 -15
                  Pin5 -14.86
                  Pin6 1.9
                  pin7 3.9
                  Pin8 14.85

Further descrepancies include IC6 listed as upc4570 9pin sip. The service manual corresponds. But in trying to figure out why I am missing pin9. The sip reads as njm4580 an 8 pin sip. Its looks like the A portion of the sip is bad to me.
                  nosaj

Comment

Pin 8 has to be the same as pin 7 they are connected together! Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 14.56.39.png Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	967190 Are you reading the correct orientation? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 15.01.28.png
Views:	280
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	967191
                    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                      Pin 8 has to be the same as pin 7 they are connected together! Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 14.56.39.png Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	967190 Are you reading the correct orientation? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-26 at 15.01.28.png
Views:	280
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	967191
                      Well I do know IC 6 is not a 4570 Its a 4580 8 pin sip. I will double check the model and look for any pcb identifications and report back.
                      nosaj

Comment

njm4580 pinout is different than upc4570. There is probably a different version of schematic.
                        Or if it is a failed repair attempt, someone may have installed the wrong part.

Comment

Nope not a failed repair. The silk screen on the PCB shows 1 and 8 on each end. IT is a yst-sw012. Only service manual i can find is the one I linked.
                          i do have some njm4558s on hand to test with.
                          nosaj

Comment

So it seems the board is a different version using the 4580. Your pins 1&2 (where measured voltages are same) correspond to pins 7 & 8 on schematic.
                            Datasheet attached.

With pin3 at good 0V, pin1 should also be 0V (supplies at pins 4 & 8 are good)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

Well I do know IC 6 is not a 4570 Its a 4580 8 pin sip. I will double check the model and look for any pcb identifications and report back.
                              nosaj
                              YST-SW012 schematic attached.
                              Quoting the correct model number and any suffix would have helped, my crystal ball seems a little foggy! Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 08.19.44.png
Views:	302
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	967232
                              Yes, the first part ot the 4580L appears to be faulty.

Comment

Working...
                              X