Peavey Delta Blues Red Plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Delta Blues Red Plating

Two(2) of the four(4) EL84s are red plating.. Turned on for about ten(10) minutes and V7 and V8 slowly increased red plating until I turned off. V7 was noisy when touched. None of other tubes including 12AX7s were noisy. Haven't taken any reading yet.

Does it have 8 tubes? Schematic attached has only 7. Check for bias voltage at pin9 of all power tubes.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I would check the valves by swopping pairs over 4/5 - 6/7.
      If the issue follows the valves, replace all four EL84s. If the issue stays with the valve holders, replace C32 & C35 both are 22n 400v (0.022uF)
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        Does it have 8 tubes? Schematic attached has only 7. Check for bias voltage at pin9 of all power tubes.
        Yeah, meant V6/7 red plating. Swapped tubes in pairs, red plating followed the tubes, so replaced two that were red plating, now good. Will check pin #9 of all power tubes momentarily. Thanks.

Comment

Agree with Jon, particularly with EL84's it is best to replace all four. They have fairly short lives compared to other power tubes, and if some are bad, the others are probably old enough that they are on the way out anyway.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            Agree with Jon, particularly with EL84's it is best to replace all four. They have fairly short lives compared to other power tubes, and if some are bad, the others are probably old enough that they are on the way out anyway.
            Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
              I would check the valves by swopping pairs over 4/5 - 6/7.
              If the issue follows the valves, replace all four EL84s. If the issue stays with the valve holders, replace C32 & C35 both are 22n 400v (0.022uF)
              Replaced all four (4) EL84S and red plating is gone. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X