Crate MX120R Speakers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate MX120R Speakers ?

Hello - I picked up an older Crate MX120R combo amp that came with two non-original speakers. One was blown and while the other works they both have the foam surrounds and should have never been put into the amp as the foam surrounds get squashed - both sides of the speaker mounting holes have a flat spot and yep that's at least one spot the foam gets squashed for sure. But, moving on...

I'm hoping hoping someone here might own a Crate MX120R and can tell me which speakers they used (impedance, serial/parallel wiring, wattage, maybe model of speaker).

I'm looking for documentation online at the moment, but maybe someone might have a shot of the back of the amp/etc here...

Thanks either way.

======================================================== =======================================
    Edit:
    I found the user manual which states the following.

"EXTERNAL SPEAKER: Use this jack to connect the amplifier to an external speaker. The internal
    speaker is disconnected when this jack is used. The minimum impedance for the external speaker is 4 ohms.​"

The user manual also states.

"Internal Speaker (2) 12” Crate Custom Design, 8 ohm​"

and

"Output Power Rating 115 watts RMS @ 5% THD 4 ohms, 120 VAC"

So, being that the internal speaker gets disconnected when the external speaker is plugged in I'm assuming the amp uses two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel.
    And, based on the 115 watts RMS rating and the name MX120R I'll go with Crate pushing it as a 100 watt'ish amp.

But, I'd still like to know just which speaker they had in this amp originally - wattage, wise, etc.
    I know it's not real valuable or anything, but hey, why not try to get it as close as possible if I can
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tubemonster; 11-14-2022, 08:39 PM.

Almost all Crate amps of that era used Crate branded speakers built for SLM by Eminence. I don't think it's that critical you find the exact speakers. Any 8 ohm speaker properly power rated will work. It comes down to your ears and what sound you are looking for. If you're dead set on finding original speakers, Google your "12” Crate Custom Design" and you may be able to find a pair.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

No, not critical at all, but it sure is nice to keep things as original as possible at times, if for nothing but the hey of it. Anyways. I had some older USA made SLM/Crate Custom speakers in a 2x12 cab I use for testing stuff, etc. Didn't really want to stick them in the amp, but... maybe it was meant to be - lol. So, the Crate amp now has Crate speakers in it and the amp actually sounds pretty nice. Now I just gotta dig thru my extra speakers to reload my 2x12 test cab.

Comment

Here's an ebay pic. I don't think you will find any more information than what you have. Someone might want to guess at the power handling based on the magnet size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	973084
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here's a picture of the speaker in the cab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crate Speakers.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	973087

I've been holding on to those speakers for a while.
          Attached Files

Comment

Now I'll be wanting a three way switch for it too.
            So much for my cheap amp - lol...

Comment

If the amp is rated at 115W RMS @4 ohms, I'd think you'd want 60ish watt speakers.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

​Did Enzo leave the forum or did he pass away ???​

Our community is saddened by the recent loss of long-time member and very good friend, Enzo.

"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned"

Comment

He passed a few weeks ago.
                  nosaj
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I haven't been up here much lately, logged in or otherwise. It's sad to learn of his passing. When reading things on forums and I seen 'ENZO' I made sure to read it. Hat's off to ENZO !!!

Comment

Originally posted by tubemonster View Post
                      I haven't been up here much lately, logged in or otherwise. It's sad to learn of his passing. When reading things on forums and I seen 'ENZO' I made sure to read it. Hat's off to ENZO !!!
                      I'm going to link this to the memorial thread we have on this forum. Recognition of Enzo seems to be far and wide. As I never doubted. It's always good for those grieving to see it I think. Yes, He was a benevolent soul that stepped up as often as he could to help whenever he had something to offer. it was powerful here, and apparently elsewhere as I've been seeing.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                      X